"A Liter of Light"

by: spalmer
A lady reusing a plastic water bottles for a light bulb in her home.

A major issue in the world today is the mass number of plastic water bottles being produced. About thirty percent of all plastic water bottles get recycled. This increasing problem can be avoided by simply buying a reusable water bottle instead of supporting the evil production. However, billions of these plastic bottles are being created and used, so we must find a way to help the problem now. 

Amy Smith, an engineer from the D-lab at MIT, has taken the next step in this process. She came up with the idea of "solar bottle bulb". These solar bottle bulbs are recycled plastic bottles that conatin bleached water. The plastic filled bottles are put into holes in the ceiling. The bottle bulbs refract the sun's rays and creates a 55 watt light bulb. This creation has helped homes in Manila that are built so close together that they have no windows, thus no light. Electricity is to expensive and no availbale for many slum environments, so Smith creation has severally helped these communities.  

Not only does this idea help keep our earth clean, it allows families to work, do chores and eat in the light. Hopefully this idea will spread through out the world for the benefit of our earth and the people. 

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-08-30/world/eco.philippines.bottle_1_plasti...

http://earth911.com/recycling/plastic/plastic-bottles/facts-about-plasti...

Dear Spalmer I enjoyed your

Submitted by nikolasr on Wed, 2011-09-21 12:42.

Dear Spalmer

I enjoyed your letter, A Liter Of Water, because it showed the effects unrecycled plastic bottles can have on the planet in the future. Also, I enjoyed the ideas of solar bottle bulbs and believe it can definitely help in the future to keep the earth clean.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Not only does this idea help keep the earth clean, it allows families to work, do chores and eat in the light. This stood out for me because it showed the effect the ideas can have on families and how it can help in the future."

Another sentence that I enjoyed is: "Hopefully this idea will spread through out the world for the benefit of our earth and the people." This stood out for me because it showed that you really care about the subject you wrote about and that you believe change can happen overtime.

Hey Nikolasr, I'm glad you

Submitted by spalmer on Mon, 2011-09-26 22:03.

Hey Nikolasr,

I'm glad you enjoyed reading my passage. I have always been passionate about getting rid of the evil plastic water bottle and when I saw this articles about using them as a helpful lighting source I was so excited. One day I hope to design a safe container and put the companies creating the plastic water bottle to rest. They are ignorant and heartless. I'm glad you are interested in this matter and can help spread the word on the issue :).