Literature log

by: Dtoalongo

Recently I read  pages 53-60 in  "Almost A Woman" by Esmeralda Santiago, and I enjoyed reading it because once again I was able to read it and relate to it. I find the story to be getting better and better everytime. 

One line from this part of the book that stands out for me is: "It's my graduation, I should wear something dressy."  I think this is true because when it's your graduation you should be able to wear whatever you want. It's a special event that you need to look gorgeous and feel good in whatever you decide to wear.

Another line that caught my attention was: "I was neither black nor white; I was triguena, wheat-colored." This stood out for me because I know exactly what she means when she says that she is triguena. Most hispanic people can be classified as that. I can say that I'm also triguena which in english it would be wheat-colored.

This section of  "Alomst A Woman" reminds me of something that happened to me. One time some said to me what color are you really.. I couldn't say black or white because I wasn't. I said light skin because that was the way I found it easier to describe it. But the truth is that in real life my family thought me that my color skin was triguena.

What's probably going to happen next is that she will get to buy the dress she wants and look good fro graduation. Even though her mom is strict I think she will be allowed to wear make up.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because I'm interested in it. I liked how she describes her life and I find a lot to relate to.

Those are the kinds of books

Submitted by 11mceachernch on Mon, 2009-05-18 13:49.

Those are the kinds of books that I enjoy most.....the type of books that I can really relate to. Those types of books are most interesting and exciting to me because I can read those types of books and relate to the characters and what is happening in the story. This book seems interesting by the way that you describe it....and I think I'll read it if I can find it. :)