The Little Ornament that Could

by: Stargirl
ornament

Once, in the oldest Christmas tree in America, there was a happy little family of ornaments. They were made with striking colors, like gold and red and green. They were covered in the shiniest of glitter. The ornaments were hung at the very top of the tree, right next to the star that twinkled so brightly. They were happy to live in such a beautiful evergreen home.

The father ornament was round and bold; green with a wide gold band around his middle. The mother ornament was shiny and red. Like the father, she had a gold band around her waist. The sister ornament was all gold with glitter that gleamed like the North Star. The littlest ornament, however, was very plain. He was green. He had no gold band, like his father and mother. He had no glitter, like his older sister. He was very plain, plain, plain, and he thought that this was all that he would ever be.

On Christmas Eve, the family of ornaments was silently watching the children playing in the snow and drinking hot chocolate. Then, the children threw a snowball, and it went straight through an open window and hit the Christmas Tree! The littlest ornament went toppling down, branch after branch, all the way down until it hit the ground with a ‘Thump!’ Luckily, he didn’t break, but he was still on the ground, and Santa would be coming in only seven hours for his yearly tree inspection. The winner would get a special little ornament as an addition to the tree. They never won, but this year, the ornaments intended to.

“Help! Help!” cried the poor little ornament that was lying on the ground.

“Oh! My baby... My little baby ornament!” said mother ornament as she tried to leap off of the tree.

“You will have to come up here yourself,” said father ornament without any hint of worry in his voice.

“Okay, I’ll try,” whimpered the littlest ornament. He got up from his side and tried to hop on a branch. It was too tall for him. The littlest ornament scooted a present under the tree, and then hopped on top of it. “I can reach now,” exclaimed the ornament. He managed to pull himself on the lowest branch of the Christmas tree. It was then 5:00, seven more hours until Santa would arrive. The children were gathered around the fire, roasting marshmallows and singing the most beautiful carols with their parents.

The littlest ornament crawled up to the third branch, and by then, he was already tired out. He huffed and puffed. The little ornament knew his family wanted to win Santa’s contest, and he knew how lonely Christmas would be without his family, so he said to himself; “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!” and with that, the little ornament was already up to the seventh branch of the tree. “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!” And up went the little ornament to the twelfth branch of the tree. It was 7:00 and Santa would be there in five hours. The children were already fast asleep with sweet dreams of presents and candy.

An hour went by, and the little ornament kept singing his song, but this time, he changed the song a little. “I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can!” He was already ten branches away from the top of the Christmas tree, and he could just see himself proudly welcoming the newest, most beautiful ornament that there ever was. Yes, that is where the little ornament wanted to be. Off he went, singing his song, for four hours, “I know I can, I know I can, I know I can,” and the little ornament was inches away from his family when the clock was one minute away from 12:00. The little ornament only had a single minute to climb to his family before Santa arrived through the chimney.

“I know I can… I know I can… I KNOW I CAN!” The little ornament was at the top of the tree!

“Hooray!” all of his family yelled just as they heard a clip-pity clop on the roof. Santa was here.

The family of ornaments was very happy that Christmas, because they had gained a new member of the ornament family. This family had won Santa’s contest thanks to the little ornament that could.

like nothing i have read

Submitted by deving on Mon, 2011-12-19 14:33.

I loved your story "the little ornament that could" because the story made me think of my little sisters and nieces, and my little brother and nephews and how much Christmas means to them. how much it use to mean to me as a little kid. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "the littlest ornament crawled up to the third branch, and by then, he was already tired out.". I think that was realistic because everyone can relate to a time they had fallen and struggled to get back to where they needed to be. Another sentence i liked was "the little ornament knew his family wanted to win Santa's contest.". This stood out for me because ,I too sometimes get extreme motivation when i know that me failing also fails those near and dear to me. Your story reminds me of something that once happened to me. The tree in my house is up and an ornament has fell , its been on the ground for days but when i get home I'm going to pick it up i know it isn't alive but just because of this story I'm going to pick it up.

I enjoyed reading your story,

evelyns's picture
Submitted by evelyns on Mon, 2011-12-19 13:57.

I enjoyed reading your story, I hope you continue to write good stories. You may grow up to be a writer and create great books.

Dear Kaylie, I read your post

thaliac's picture
Submitted by thaliac on Mon, 2011-12-19 14:11.

Dear Kaylie,
I read your post "The Little Ornament That Could", because i found it on youth voices and i love people who have Christmas spirit. Also because my teacher asked me too.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is "I think I can, I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I Think I Can". When im taking a test i get nervous and start talking to myself. Saying "Im Going to Pass, Im Going to Pass". I think this is funny and cute because if you think about an ornament saying it, its pretty funny.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. My little brother had dropped an ornament from the tree because he was being nosey looking at which gift was his, and i had asked him to pick it up and put it anywhere.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next. Happy Holidays :)

Dear Kaylie, I didn't really

christinac's picture
Submitted by christinac on Mon, 2011-12-19 14:16.

Dear Kaylie,
I didn't really enjoy reading your post about Christmas and little ornaments. Because we are In two different stages In our life and I'm kind of already over Christmas and all these little personification.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is when you wrote "I KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN , I KNOW I CAN". Because when I was younger my mom use to tell me Christina always put In your head " I CAN DO IT, I CAN DO IT, I CAN DO IT ,. And that's what that reminded me of.
Another sentence that kind of caught my eye was the father ornament said "You will have to come up yourself", I really like this quote because the father ornament didn't give up on the son and made him believe In him self enough to do It.
Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because maybe It will catch my eye lol

it was for children

Stargirl's picture
Submitted by Stargirl on Tue, 2011-12-20 10:40.

Dear christinac,
I think that you might not understand the reason why I wrote this short story. I wrote it for children, ranging from four years old to six years old. I did this because I want to be a children's author when I grow up. But I still do believe in Christmas, and Santa, and there is nothing to be ashamed of. I apologize, but I think it is awfully sad that other people don't have the true spirit of Christmas.
-Kaylie

Dear Ayliekay, i like your

britneypa's picture
Submitted by britneypa on Mon, 2011-12-19 14:31.

Dear Ayliekay,
i like your story called " The little ornament that could" because it explains how someone can never give up and keep on until the top. It also shows the true meaning of Christmas on how it can explain, no matter how many obstacles there are you can always reach your goal on what you wanna do.

Dear Kaylie: Your story "The

michellea's picture
Submitted by michellea on Mon, 2011-12-19 14:36.

Dear Kaylie:
Your story "The little ornament that could" was very cute. I would so print this out and read it to my little sister as a bedtime story(:

One sentence that you wrote that stood out for me was "“You will have to come up here yourself,” said father ornament without any hint of worry in his voice". I like this line because I feel that father didn't show he cared so the little ornament could help himself. The father ornament reminds me of my father. He shows no importance so I will be able to do things on my own. And with that, I feel like I can accomplish anything I put my mind too.

Another sentence that stood out to me was "An hour went by, and the little ornament kept singing his song, but this time, he changed the song a little. “I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can!” I like this line because the little ornament stopped thinking he can and believed he could. I think knowing you can do something will push you to strive for it.

Your story was adorable (:

Michelle <3

Dear Aylie, I read your post

mistyp's picture
Submitted by mistyp on Tue, 2011-12-20 11:06.

Dear Aylie,

I read your post and found it delightful and fit to the holiday season.However, I found it even more interesting the amount of perseverance that is expressed by the ornament. The technique of personification was expressed well by you.I can only commend you because personification is not an easy task to accomplish.

Dear Kaylie I read your

chanteg's picture
Submitted by chanteg on Tue, 2011-12-20 11:12.

Dear Kaylie
I read your post The little ornament that could.Because it was very creative. One sentence that stood out for me was "I know I can I know I can." This sentence stood out to me because I love when people have confidence in themselves.Another sentence that stood out for me is "Once, in the oldest Christmas tree in America, there was a happy little family of ornaments." Because I love the holidays so anything that has to do with x mas makes me happy.Thanks for writing.I'm glad to see that you are in the x mas spirit. I look forward to see what you write next.

CHANTE G

I thought your post "The

brittneya's picture
Submitted by brittneya on Tue, 2011-12-20 11:25.

I thought your post "The Little Ornament That Could" was a awesome short story. you used great personification.

One sentence that stood out to me was "You will have to come up here by yourself said the father ornament without any hint of worry in his voice." it just shows that his family believed in him and knew he could do what it takes to get to the top of the tree with the rest of his family.

thanks for this post , you have helped put me in the holiday spirit. =D

Dear Kaylie, I enjoyed your

benjamindlc's picture
Submitted by benjamindlc on Wed, 2011-12-21 12:00.

Dear Kaylie,

I enjoyed your story "The Little Ornament that Could" because this story explains how not giving up can be a good thing for the future success. This story also expresses how believing in yourself can help you go on no matter how difficult the situation is.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is:"he said to himself; “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!” and with that, the little ornament was already up to the seventh branch of the tree" because this is an example of not giving up and believing in yourself and the things people want to achieve no matter how struggling the road might be. I think this is a good sentence in your post because it shows the difficult parts the "Little Ornament" had to go through to get to the top of the tree and shows how he's trying to build his confidence to get up on the tree.

Another sentence that i liked was “I know I can… I know I can… I KNOW I CAN!” The little ornament was at the top of the tree!" this stood out to me because it shows how his confidence and him believing in himself got him to the top of the tree.

Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this story actually caught my attention and shows how much people need to be confident of themselves and never give up.

This story was so sweet. It

Submitted by Juliettefray on Thu, 2013-01-17 11:09.

This story was so sweet. It could be a children's story book for Christmas! you should really think about publishing this because I know kids would absolutely love this