Love in Their Eyes Were Watching God Chapter 5

by: CFlores

When you listen to your heart, it is the passion of being able to choose where you belong. Everyone deserves the chance to follow their heart’s desires and make the best of it. What I love about being human is that even though we make mistakes, I learn from them and keep moving towards my goal.

I am really liking THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD, by Zora Neal Hurston because she was human enough to let her heart take command, for once in her life. Joe and Janie have started to have a very interesting and great relationship. This time, Janie really fell in love with a man she chose and not with someone, who she forced herself to love. An example of what I mean is on page 51. "On the train the next day, Joe didn’t make many speeches with rhymes to her, but he bought her the best things the butcher had, like apples and a glass lantern full of candles. Mostly he talked about plans for the town when he got there. They were bound to need somebody like him. Janie took a lot of looks at him and she was proud of what she saw." I think this is sincere because Janie did not force herself to believe that she could marry someone who she did not fall in love with. However, Joe was something else in her life. Joe swept Janie off her feet and it is very beautiful to know how powerful the heart can be at the presence of a special individual. There is a sort of transition on page 61 where it says: “I god, Ah don’t see how come yuh can’t. ‘Taint nothin’ atall tuh hinder yuh if yuh got uh thimble full uh sens. You got tuh. Ah got too much else on my hands as Mayor. Dis town needs some light right now.” I think Janie felt that she was being told what to do again, in a more sophisticated situation. I believe that Janie felt that Joe’s job was starting to get in the way of their love and that he cared more about the store than her.

So far, the  themes in THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD reminds me the story in another book. In MOUNTAINS BEYOND MOUNTAINS because Paul Farmer followed his dream to become a professional and help people in Haiti. I believe that both of the main character’s followed their hearts desires for the better. Following your heart is human nature and every experience, can lead to a new beginning. Another specific theme is community. There is a big part between pages 82-88 that portray the meaning a community. Although, I believe that any of the scenes within the gap can appear in my community. One reason I say this is because nobody in my community is very close, people stick to themselves, and it everyone minds their own business rather than mind stories and arguments of guys trying to get ladies.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this book because I love the accent. The book is very interesting and I find it somewhat suspenseful. What's probably going to happen next is that Janie is going to get tired of living the good life and run away again, to experience something new.