Making Friends

by: 16jumanm

I created the Scratch animation “Making Friends” as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that involves one or more decisions that have different consequences. One of the choices must be the right thing to do, and this will result in a positive consequence, while other choices might result in a negative consequence. In an interactive story, the player gets to choose which option to pick.

My story is about a student (the player’s character) who sits by himself at lunchtime, and doesn’t want to sit with anyone. One day, another student who has nowhere to sit approaches him at lunch and asks to sit down with him. This is the first ethical decision - whether to kick him out of your space, ignore him, or make friends with him. If you choose to kick him out, he will leave the table and you will be lonely forever. If you choose to ignore him, he will sit down and you will make another choice - whether to talk with him or not. If you choose not to talk with him, he will get bored and leave, and you will have no friends. If you choose to talk with him, you will make friends with him and go to the last ethical decision in the story. You will also go directly to this decision if you choose to make friends with him in the first ethical decision. Your friend is bullied, so you can either step in and help him, or just watch. If you watch, he would hate you forever and leave, so you would feel terrible and lonely. If you help him, you become best friends and you are known as a hero for standing up for him. This is ultimately the best ending.

My story was inspired by several of Aesop’s fables, from multiple sources. One of the fables I got inspiration from was “The Horse and the Stag” and also “The Hunter, Horse and Stag.” This gave me the idea of having one character living in a place all by himself, and then being intruded upon by another person. Instead of continuing the storyline, I decided to make an ethical decision - whether to make friends with that person or not. The rest of the story was my imagination, although the moral(s) of my story were based on the fables, too. I also changed the characters so they were humans, not animals. The websites I used were:
http://www.umass.edu/aesop/fables.php
http://www.aesopfables.com/aesopsel.html
http://www.aesops-fables.org.uk/

I think I was successful in creating my story because I believe that I fulfilled all of the requirements for this project. The animation was made in Scratch and was interactive. I had three ethical decisions in all, two of which had two choices, and one had three choices. The player’s choice affects the outcome of the story, and at those three points, the ending is completely dependent on what the player chooses. The story branched out so there were four different endings in all, three negative ones and one positive one. The animation was completely appropriate for kids, and also educational, teaching the player to do the right thing. I tried to recreate a typical school situation, so if the player was a child, he or she could actually apply what they learned to their actions in school. I think it is actually geared toward a younger audience. Lastly, I timed my story with a stopwatch for all four different endings, and each one was more than 3 minutes long.

Project Review

16mizukamia's picture
Submitted by 16mizukamia on Wed, 2012-01-04 09:56.

I really liked your story setting and the monologues were interesting. I think that you should lessen the amount of monologues, and maybe have the character do something other than just standing and talking. You should also make the wrong choices more tempting, it was pretty easy to figure out what was bad and what was good, especially the first decision. When chosen the bad decision, there should be more choices afterwards rather than just ending the whole story, but overall I think that the story plot was good.

Comment on Ethical Story

16wangc's picture
Submitted by 16wangc on Thu, 2012-01-05 17:59.

I liked the plot of your story. I also liked the multiple ethical decisions you included in your animation because it made the story more interesting, and leads to more consequences as well.
I noticed that you had many scenes in your animation, which was good because otherwise, the story might have been boring. I was not confused by anything in your story, as it was clear and straightforward and the animation functioned well. Something you could have done better was to add more sound/music to your animation - it would've made your animation more interesting to watch.
The ethical dilemma in your story was good, although it was simple. I understood the choices very well, as there were some writing beneath the choice somewhat explaining the consequences. The wrong choices were not very tempting though because each choice was persuading, so they all seemed equal. The mechanism for making the choices were clear and understandable. Overall, the animation is well-made and has a good plot. .

Very good job!

Submitted by 17brickmanl on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:17.

I really liked your animation. The plot was engaging, and it really shows people how important friendship is. I also like how you left it up to the person watching it to make the majority of the decisions. The animation was well thought out.

I think your animation was good because you gave many options for the person watching it to choose between. It wasn't solved TOO easily- that's a good thing :)

Nice job!

I loved the animation along

Submitted by 17chenr on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:03.

I loved the animation along with the quality and timing of it. However, the choice making decisions were very easy to make in order of making the right choices. The ethical dilemma was whether I should have let the student be bullied, or to stop the bullies myself; which could have been also a bad thing if I were bullied too. Standing up to the bullies was the right thing do to because the bullies didn't bother the student anymore.

Good Dilemma, and AWESOME animation :D

Submitted by 17begumm on Sun, 2012-04-29 19:54.

I really enjoyed the whole animation, and the decisions you had to choose from. The boy enjoyed having time to himself, but also thought it would be nice to have a friend to talk with. I liked how there were multiple choices, to ignore him, allow him to sit at his table, or just tell the boy to leave. Throughout the animation, the boy learned to be kind a,d try to treat other people with respect. When he did, he received a new friend. And when he didn't, he felt alone and guilty for mistreating the new boy. Throughout the animation, there were many decisions to make, but it made a good point of learning to treat others with respect and you will receive some good things in return.

I liked this animation

Submitted by 17nasrs on Sun, 2012-04-29 20:38.

I liked this animation because it had more than one interactive options and the story was entertaining. The ethical dilemma was that you shouldn't turn down friends as you might not know what happens. The ethical dilemma was fairly presented but actually a bit too easily resolved, it was still a good story though.

Great Job!

Submitted by Danielle on Mon, 2012-04-30 21:07.

Well first off, I like your animation a lot, you did a great job in making sure there were no glitches in the scheme of the animation. What I like a lot about your animation is the technique you used to make the animation interactive in giving the viewer a bunch of options as sprites and giving the opportunaty to choose, it leaves less of a window for the viewer to not pick an option given.

In terms of analyzing the ethical dilemma of the story, I think you have done a great job, i just feel as if the elements are a bit too literal and fictional compared to real life but other than that the ethical dilemma and other aspects of the interactive animation were on point and well done.

Great story.

Submitted by 17chowdhurym on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:01.

The animation was great. I enjoyed watching him being a lonely at the beginning but become friends later on. The ethical dilemma was interesting too. I was able to choose from various options when it came down to to choices. The plot was good as well. You had many scenes with dialogue that went with it.
The ethical dilemma was good but I had a feeling of what was going to happen if I chose the options given. The right choices weren't as tempting because I figured what could possibly happen next. The choices are equal though, somewhat.

I really liked this animation

Submitted by 17ramosal on Wed, 2012-05-02 17:28.

I really liked this animation because of the fact that you allowed the viewer to choose a descion in life that one may come across at times. I also enjoyed the fact that if one chose to allow the kid sit at the table and be friends with the main character and the kid is bullied the main character stood up for him and protected him against bullying.The ethical dilemma also was very good because the viewer had 3 choices to make and all of them went from a scale of yes, i don't care and no. The animation was made properly and it really teached the viewer; myself; a lesson in life and test the choices one makes every time. is it a good one or a bad one. The animation was really good and it taught me a lesson whether if being lonely is a good thing or not.
Good Job! :)