Making a statement

by: mattr
Career goals

This year, I would like to work on making a statement with my photos. Taking pictures that have meaning and make a bold statement are much more powerful and unique than a simple photo which does not have any deeper meaning. I want to explore many things in my photos this year,  both in composition and in philosophy.

One of my photos from the summer, exploring lifestyle photography:

This picture is soo good!!

type's picture
Submitted by type on Wed, 2010-09-22 09:31.

This picture is soo good!! The motion blur is awesome, gives it kind of a swimmers perspective. The motion blur gave it a fast-paced feeling, which translated well, knowing the sport. I also like whatever effect you used at the top border and the bottom border of the photo. Seems effortless.

It's also cool how you managed to keep the swimmer in focus, and the water motion-blurred. I've tried taking pictures like this and it's HARD to get the shutter speed perfect, like it is here. Is this a composite? You used photoshop?

Awesome job!

Thank you! I only used

mattr's picture
Submitted by mattr on Thu, 2010-09-23 13:13.

Thank you!

I only used photoshop to enchance the water a little bit.

I used a lens called a "lensbaby" which allows for creative focusing. It basically gives a center focus point and the rest of the image is soft and revolves an out of focus area around the main focus point.

Check out the image on my FlickR for more info.
www.flickr.com/photos/matthewresnick/4994548371/

I really like this photo

jonesy's picture
Submitted by jonesy on Wed, 2010-09-22 09:34.

I really like this photo because it's not your typical "cannonball-in-the-air-off-the-diving-board" shot. it's also neat how you caught it before the upper half of his body even got wet.

I'm excited to see more of your photos! if you want, you can check out mine here: 

www.flickr.com/photos/littlesqueak/

Thank you! My flickr is

mattr's picture
Submitted by mattr on Thu, 2010-09-23 13:15.

Thank you!

My flickr is www.flickr.com/matthewresnick !

This picture is really good,

MichaelLa's picture
Submitted by MichaelLa on Sun, 2010-10-10 18:38.

This picture is really good, it almost looks like the water is hitting him instead of the other way around. the work that you did with photoshop is really subtle too, not obviously done.