Marilyn's 6 Word Memoir

Jul 9, 2014
by: mfranzua

I'm a student at International Community High School in the Bronx, NY, and I'm a participant in the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program.

Hello! I’m Marilyn Franzua and I am a Guatemalan teenager. I have been living 1 year and 6 months here in the United States. I am a friendly and respectful person. I enjoy playing basketball with my little sister and reading books to improve my English. My favorite subjects in School are Math, because I found interesting by playing with number and sometime its hard but I try to do my best, and English, because its help me by improving my Speaking. I Like to meet new person and their experience as I like to share my experience too. Coming to United States did a big change in my life because I have to accustomed myself to a new environment and a new type of living.

Something that I like to do at school is practicing Math. Some students told me that “you are crazy” because I like to do math and I Said” Each person has a different point of view about math, I found something interesting math class and that is what I like”. Another thing what I like math its because my Mother was a math teacher In my Country Guatemala so she inspired me, and each time I were liking more math.

When I am out of School I love going to the park and play basketball with friends and my Little sister. Also I like listening Bachata( it’s a Hispanic type of Music). I Like to dance too. I have been enjoy two summer in hehe USA, as I can see is too different from Guatemala, and I like it because I enjoy going to barbecues with family and friends.

I loved reading about you and

amarston's picture
Submitted by amarston on Wed, 2014-07-09 11:17.

I loved reading about you and it amazed me because you seem more as the quiet, "keep to myself" type. Reading this gave me a whole new perspective of who you are as a person.

I think the quote "I said 'Each person has a different point of view about math, " because even though you were just talking about something simple, you were still able to stand up for what you believe in and bravely share your opinion. I look up to you for that because I sometimes have trouble standing up for myself.

Another quote that stood out to me was "When I am out of school I love going to the park and play basketball with my friends and my little sister," because it shows that you are close to the people you love, which is something most people are not. You seem like someone who will stick by a person. You also like to go out and interact than to just stay home.

I connected with the quote "I enjoy going to barbecues with family and friends," because I love barbecues. I also think family and friends are important and so is spending quality time with them.

I'm glad that you are open about yourself and that your not afraid to show others who you are. Please keep expressing yourself and stay with your family. You are a cool person and you should only change if you want to better yourself.

very relatable

ctaveras's picture
Submitted by ctaveras on Mon, 2014-11-10 11:34.

Dear Marilyn Franzua :
I am overjoyed with your work of art "Marilyn’s 6 word memoir," because what you wrote is a perfect story I love your memoir.
One part of your artwork that stands out for me is where you put that picture of that man in the sunset I think this is inspirational because the picture gives you a sense of success and completion it represents freedom and it looks like that man has accomplished something great in his life.
Another part that I enjoyed is your story itself This stood out for me because I can relate to it and that sounds like great advice.
Your work of art reminds me of something that I made once. One time my teacher told us to write our goals in life so I wrote about how I want to be a professional singer but there are many obstacles right now and sometimes I feel like giving up but I always tell myself to never give up.
Thanks for your art. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because you seem like the type of person to give good advice and maybe when u post something else ill like that too.