Is marriage for everyone?

by: sabmar

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been is marriage for everyone. I remember my sister talking about it recently, but we was just watching a reality t.v show called Basketball Wives. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that marriage can be for everyone. But I disagree with that if marriage was for everyone then why do couples file for divorce.

One thing that I know for sure about “Is marriage for everyone?” is that marriage is not for everyone. Many people get married because you're simply in love with your partner, your parents or family members continuously ask you when you’ll get married, and or your past 30 or 40 and you feel its time to settle down and get married. I’ve been reading this article about marriage and it read other reasons why people get married: “Some marry for love, some marry for money and then there are some who marry purely for the companionship.”

But there are people out there in the world and being married just don’t fit their character. Everyone has a different character, and being married just doesn’t work for everyone. Like for someone who usually don’t have many responsibilities now settling down and having a lot of responsibilities is a drastic change and may not work out when in a marriage. Another reason can be some people having doubts during a marriage believing that they can’t spend the rest of their lives with the same person. Which is a reason why marriage doesn’t work for everyone.

All of this just make me think that marriage isn’t for everyone, but you can still be happy without being married.

References: http://cunysps.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/marriage-is-it-for-everyone/

Marriage

Submitted by yuskha on Sun, 2012-04-01 10:25.

Dear Mariama,

Reading your post just brought joy to me. Finally someone is seeing marriage from my perspective. Coming from an African and religious family that is one topic that always come up, marriage. One sentence from your post that stood out to me was when you stated “All of this just makes me think that marriage isn’t for everyone, but you can still be happy without being married.” To me marriage is a choice. I don’t believe in the fact that you need to spend your life with one person.

Another sentence that stood out to me was “Everyone has a different character, and being married just doesn’t work for everyone.” I 100% agree with this sentence. A lot of women or men have a lot going on in their lives that they don’t think marriage would fit in perfectly.

This post is definitely a post I can relate to. I don’t see myself getting married anytime soon. To me marriage is like a prison. I am a type of person who can’t be committed to one person. I like to explore and have fun marriage will just slow me down. Also I don’t want to depend on someone I want to blossom and shine on my own.

I really enjoyed this post so much. The reason being I can strongly relate to it. Your post “Is marriage for everyone?” has really send a message out to people who get married because they are told to do so. I look forward to reading more of your creative work.

Dear Mariama , I am very

Submitted by dormah on Sun, 2012-04-01 16:25.

Dear Mariama ,

I am very interested by this post “Is marriage for everyone” because it is something that I have been interested in learning more about and also when i saw your post i was so excited to read it. I am interested in this post because many people think that marriage is to settle and have many kids but don’t care about the love or anything and sometimes they don’t even think about their happiness.

One sentence you wrote that I like was, “Many people get married because you're simply in love with your partner, your parents or family members continuously ask you when you’ll get married.” I liked this sentence because sometimes people get married because they are in love or they are being pressured by the parents so they just get married without realizing the consequence of marriage.

Another sentence you wrote that I like was, “Another reason can be some people having doubts during a marriage believing that they can’t spend the rest of their lives with the same person.” I like this sentence because many people think that the person that they are marrying is a wonderful person,but when they get married they see the true colors of that person. And when they get traumatized by that person's action they won’t be thinking about getting married anymore in they life because they will think that another person will do the same thing to them.

I really think that people should read your post because you have a lot of good information about it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoy reading your post and it was interesting.

interesting

Submitted by aseele on Sun, 2012-04-01 18:55.

Dear Mariama,

I enjoyed your post "Is marriage for everyone?" because it was informative and I saw your perspective of marriage. Your post reminded me of Kim Kardashian and Kris Humpries' Wedding. I still wonder if their marriage was true love or for publicity, even though I'm a true fan of Kim. I know for sure that their marriage didn't work out because they were both accustomed to two different lifestyles. That led me to believe that your statement, "Like for someone who usually don’t have many responsibilities now settling down and having a lot of responsibilities is a drastic change and may not work out when in a marriage." Another statement that stood out for me was, "“Some marry for love, some marry for money and then there are some who marry purely for the companionship.”" Everyone marries for their own reasons and convenience. I think that everyone should do what works for them, sometimes marriage isn't for everyone. Everyone should I least try marriage out and not have that as regret. Thanks for your post, I look forward to reading more of your writing. You should check out my writing to.

marriage

Submitted by heryan on Sun, 2012-04-01 22:16.

Dear Mariama,
I enjoyed your article “Is marriage for everyone?” because I think that marriage its not for everyone. I think that people get married to have a fancy party,and invite their closest friends. I also think that people get married to show off, because after the marriage nothing changes. After the marriage the relationship its still the same way the only difference its a ring on a finger and more responsibility .

One sentence from the article that stands the most for me is "Everyone has a different character, and being married just doesn’t work for everyone," because this its totally true. Some people are just born to be in a relationship, and never get married. Other are born to stay single and wonder around. Everyone does have a different character, and a lot of people aren't born to get married and stay faithful.

Another sentence that stand out for me is " Like for someone who usually don’t have many responsibilities now settling down and having a lot of responsibilities is a drastic change and may not work out when in a marriage," because i agree when you get marry a lot of things changes. You are given more responsibility, and those responsibility might scare your partner away. Also when you get married couples tend to want a bigger family and have kids. This could be a problem because after having kids there's no way that they could enjoy their marriage.

Thanks for this article. I really look forward of reading your response to my comment, because I would like to know what you think.