Mars says goodbye to its atmosphere.

An artists rendering of a solar storm approaching Mars.

Lately scientists have started to notice the thinning of Mars's atmosphere. They suspect the cause to be solar storms coming from the sun. These storms carry very very strong solar rays that gradually blast away at Mar's once Earth like atmosphere.

This new finding also supports accusations that Mars used to have a atmosphere as thick as planet Earths that support water there.By looking at the craters on Mars, scientists suspect that lakes used to exist on the planet. As the strong solar winds approach Mars's atmosphere, electrons are blasted away from atoms and the then positively charged ions are repelled away from the planet's electric and magnetic fields into space. Scientist from the University of Colorado report that these atoms usually escape at a rate of a quarter pound per second but in a recent storm the rate rose to as much as five pounds per second. The fact that these findings and many others support each other makes them both more likely to be true. What else can the thinning of Mar's atmosphere tell us about the planet itself? What will this mean for Mar's future? All of these questions and many more are what scientist are trying to finding out by doing tests, research and by putting together the facts that we already know.