Media Bias in the Super Bowl

by: bfery

Two Sundays ago the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl. In a surprising defensive battle, New Orleans stonewalled an otherwise extremely productive Colts offense, 31-17. What struck me the most wasn't the fact that the Saints won, but rather how the pre-game media coverage was conducted.

The few weeks leading up to the Super Bowl all the major television networks told the inspiring ballad of New Orleans. Katrina and the destruction left in its wake. Then like a phoenix rising from its ashes, the comeback. For the first time is years the Super Dome served as a sports venue instead of a home for locals thrown out of their own. With the Saints winning a berth in the Super Bowl, a city was revitalized. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a good underdog and an even better comeback, but the way it was presented to America, the Saints recieved an unfair advantage in fan support. The Saints were backed by hours of media attention that gave them more support from the American public. All but one person I know wanted the Saints to win and I believe this is so because of the media exposure to the Saint's.
    Although I wanted the Saints to win I think they recieved an unfair advantage from the media that swayed so many fans in their favor.

With an average US audience of 106.5 million viewers, this was the most-watched Super Bowl ever as well as the most-watched program of any kind in American television history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLIV#Television

Blake, I have enjoyed your

Submitted by beenut on Mon, 2010-02-15 22:00.

Blake,

I have enjoyed your post because I too have seen the bias in sports these days. The announcers or the media seem to always pick on the little guy, and boast about the "bigger" or "better" team. An example I have seen is the pairs figure skating competition in the Olympics. The announcers are so negative, and only talk about the flaws each pair "makes." I say "makes" because they really don't mess up or appear to stumble at all. I hope in the future announcers and the media will get rid of the bias and cover the game more fairly.

I hope to hear more from you in the future.