Memory Chain

by: achan

When I was younger, I remember I use to go to Chinatown on Sundays.  When I think  about it, I get a nostalgic feeling. The warm fluttery feeling you get in your stomach when you reminisce about your past. It was before my grandmother past away. She was living by herself in her small cozy apartment.. My  dad would drive my sisters and I out to her place, and we would spend  the afternoon and evening there.  On some occasions we would go out and eat to celebrate.  I am the youngest on my dad’s side of the family. I was about 5-6 years old, then. All my cousins and my sister are all older than me. It ranged from 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years and 6 years age difference.  My grandma has 4 children. My dad is second oldest. Our family is very big. Each family has two kids of their own.  My dad’s siblings are very thoughtful of their mom. They try and visit her every Sunday. And that’s where all of us, cousins meet. Thinking about it now, it really brings me back a lot of happy memories.

Another memory was before I moved to where my current house is. Forest Hills was a great place to live in. All the essentials would be within reach. For example, gas stations, mini stores all lined up, high schools, middle schools, elementary schools, parks, and many, many houses. Our house was a townhouse. All the houses would look like they were connected on the outside and they look small. But in reality, they're big on the inside with 2 floors and a basement. I remember the ice cream truck would come near our house every night and one night, I stayed up waiting for it. It was around 9 and I was already falling asleep. Ahh, good times.

The movie theater on Queens

lming's picture
Submitted by lming on Thu, 2009-11-19 08:50.

The movie theater on Queens Blvd is pretty decent. Not to mention the Japanese restaurant on the next block. Yea, Forest Hill is a nice place. I still go there sometimes.

Back in China i had a pretty big family too. My grandfather is the oldest in his family, he has 2 brothers and a sister, and they each has one kid. My grandfather himself has 3. My mother is the oldest, followed by 2 of my uncles. I remember years ago we used to visit each other a lot, especially during festivals and holidays. We used to gather together at every Chinese New Year and have a big celebration that lasts for an entire day. But nowadays nobody comes over to him anymore except his sister and my uncles. I hope they are enjoying their lives now.

Thanks for posting this( I am serious for god's sake), it reminds me of some of my own memories. I look forward to see more of this.(Yea, believe it or not, i mean it)