Mens vs. Womens Sports

by: isaacjl
What I'm good at
Career goals

In the past I have talked about the BCS, and the bias of the system, I have realized that every time I talk about the BCS I just get upset and angry, so I am changing my topic this week. This week I have chosen to talk about the difference and appeal between men's and women's sports. Many of my female friends that play sports always wonder and ask why people don't come to their sports games, and why they always go to the boys games. I have heard people ask, both men and women play soccer and basketball, what makes the sports so much different.

Men have also been stereotyped as being in better physical shape than women.  At my high school, all of the boys` teams had to be in the weight room at least three days a week during their playing season.  The football players even have a year-long weight-lifting program that ran throughout the summer.  You see, the girls didn`t experience any of this.  Why don`t the girls` teams have these requirements?  Our society doesn`t expect girls to be as physically fit or as muscular as a male athlete.

The reason that more pople attend mens sporting events more than womens is because, in many peoples opinion, it is more physical and much faster. Take for example the difference between mens lacrosse and womens lacrosse. Pretty much the same sport, right? Well by the name it is, but in the rules and the game play, it is almost completely different. Mens lacrosse is a very physical game, where as womens lacrosse has penalties for getting to close to the head. I was talking to a person the other day that said he was watching a women's lacrosee game and there was a call called excesive propellering, because a girl was spinning to much, I'm sorry but thats rediculous. I think it is just more appealing for people to watch a faster more physical game. I am not trying to sound sexist, but here are some stats that show the different physical capabilities of men and women.

Event   Men's record   Women's record   Percent difference
100 meters   9.84 seconds   10.49 seconds   6.61%
200 meters   19.32 seconds   21.34 seconds   10.46%
400 meters   43.29 seconds   47.60 seconds   9.96%
800 meters   1:41.73 minutes   1:53.28 minutes   11.35%
1,500 meters   3:27.37 minutes   3:50.46 minutes   11.13%
5,000 meters   12:44.39 minutes   14:36.45 minutes   14.66%
10,000 meters   26:38.08 minutes   29:31.78 minutes   10.87%
Marathon   2:06:50 hours   2:21:06 hours   11.25%

These stats are from the sport of track and field. The chart was made before some of the records have changed. The mens record for the 100 is now 9.58 and the men's 200 is now 19.19.

Dear Isaac:   I really

Submitted by michaelhanover on Sun, 2009-10-04 21:47.
Dear Isaac:

I really enjoyed your post, "Men's vs. Women's Sports" because it addresses one of the things I think about all the time.  I wonder why I like to watch Men's basketball over Women's and most other Men's sports as well.  However, this difference seems to occur at a high school level more than college or professional.  Your post brings attention to a very likely reason why.

One sentence that you quoted that really made me see it in a new light was, "At my high school, all of the boys` teams had to be in the weight room at least three days a week during their playing season.  The football players even have a year-long weight-lifting program that ran throughout the summer.  You see, the girls didn`t experience any of this.  Why don`t the girls` teams have these requirements?  Our society doesn`t expect girls to be as physically fit or as muscular as a male athlete."  This is completely true.  Society is to blame for the difference between men and women in high school athletics.  Girls, in general (this is not to say all girls) dont seem to train as adequately and it shows.  It seems to me that there is a wider disparity in the skill levels of girls on a team than of guys.  Some girls devote everything to the game, some don't.  Men have to devote everything or they don't seem to make the team.  ( This is just what I observe.)

Another thing that you said that I liked was. "The reason that more pople attend mens sporting events more than womens is because, in many peoples opinion, it is more physical and much faster."  Girls sports are often toned down, especially lacrosse, in terms of aggression. In mens lacrosse, we smash each other every game.  There are crunching hits and painful stick checks.  Guys love to play that way.  And its more interesting to anyone who comes to the game. 

This post reminds me of the last women's lacrosse game I went to.  It seemed to drag on forever.  The refs were all over any contact, and the ball was on the ground all the time.  I play the men's version and I know its more interesting to see the ball whip around the field, player to player, and fly into the goal at 80 miles an hour.  There is really no comparison, especially in lacrosse.  But also, as you point out, in track and field.

Thanks for writing this. I look forward to what you write next because you are not afraid to draw attention to facts that may upset people.  THere is nothing wrong with writing this way. In fact, it is the kind of thing that draws in readers.  Great work.  It is nice to see that someone else notices what I have noticed before.