Metamorphoses Myths

Favorite books

The Judge production of the play Metamorphoses entertains us all with several greek myths. Stories such as Midas, Pomona and Vertumnus, and Phaeton all captivate their audience with their plot twists. Although such myths differ in their story lines they tend to all connect with a similar theme of greed and consequences. As most greek myths go, the gods present an option or in other words, a deal, but with that comes a consequence. Throughout the play we witness the decisions of different characters and how they subtly change their fate. 

"Ovid is most famous for the Metamorphoses, a single poem of fifteen books, which was probably completed around a.d8. By writing theMetamorphoses in dactylic hexameter, the meter of epic, Ovid intentionally invited comparisons with the greatest Roman poet of his age, Virgil, who had written the epic the Aeneid. In form, rhythm, and size, theMetamorphoses falls squarely in the category of epic. In content, however, the Metamorphoses has little in common with such epics as the Aeneid,which are characterized by a single story line and one main protagonist. In fact, Ovid explicitly pokes fun of the epic genre. The Metamorphoses more closely resembles the work of Hesiod and the Alexandrian poets, who favored a collection of independent stories connected by a theme. TheMetamorphoses’ roughly 250 stories are linked only by their common theme of metamorphosis." http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/metamorphoses/context.html

I would like to commend all those who participated in Metamorphoses for putting on a very entertaining and well constructed play. The creativity used throughout the play captivated the audience and kept me thoroughly entertained. Congratulations on a great performance!