Mind Games, Good or Nah?

Today, with digital phones and laptops, the gaming community has grown rapidly over the days. Gaming institutes launched mobile and mini-brain games, that some of them have torn through the gaming market. Although many people still argue that these games are as worse as games such as Black Ops and Minecraft, I can argue that these small, compact brain games could contribute to the finding of well trained men and women for higher positions of jobs.

There is this one game called 0h h1, as shown in in picture, that resolves in two different colors, red and blue. Your objective is to fill the board with these four rules:

No three colors can be lined up with each other
No row can be the same
No column can be the same
Each row and column must have the same amount of red and blues

What I experienced from this game, is you need to find another way around. You first focus on finding 2-pairs potentially making a three, then you look at rows that are complete to rows with two more colors to fill in, you identify the amount of reds and blues from each column, it helps you think harder and to identify patterns. Prodigies at this game could resolve into spies or decoders for foreign country radio codes, their color identification could help in the military, detecting camouflaged troops without radar. Exercising eyesight and logic could help in a number of jobs, such as science research to physics and atomic structure study.

Many of these games also find a good way to kill time and bring mood to us. With playing these games, study shows that it brings satisfaction to the brain.

So not necessarily all games, unlike Geometry Dash and CSGO, are bad for you. 0h h1, 2048 and 0h n0 are great ways to exercise logic and patterns.

I Agree

Submitted by 21Santon on Mon, 2016-02-29 17:26.

Hi Eric,
I agree with you about this. I would even go as far to say that it's important that we exercise our minds by using games like 2048 and 0h h1. I also believe that even games that are for entertainment purposes like CS:GO could still have positive benefits.

These games still allow your brain to think and practice different skills like reasoning and critical thinking, they are also fun to play.

Other games such as Minecraft encourage people to be creative as one of the main points of the game is that you can create anything you want. In fact, schools around the U.S are starting to use Minecraft in school, whether it's during school or after-school. It's being used to teach Social Studies and Geometry. Minecraft can encourage kids to learn.

I agree with you that games can bring positive effects on the brain and can encourage people to learn and be creative

I Agree

Hi Eric,

I Agree!

21vuonge's picture
Submitted by 21vuonge on Mon, 2016-02-29 21:44.

Dear Eric,

I agree with your post, "Mind Games,Good or Nah?". I believe you are correct when you said that games brings benefits to players. I agree with you when you state that "these small, compact brain games could contribute to the finding of well trained men and women for higher positions of jobs." I've played various games, including the ones you mentioned, however I think that not only brain games can improve our abilities, but most games do so as well.

Shooter games, such as Call of Duty or CS:GO, practice our reflexes and improve our ability to think by forcing players to think or create strategies quickly. These kinds of games also improve the player's ability to survive. While many players may not be placed in a situation where they must survive gunfire, the reflex and thinking aspects of the games help players with other things.

Games like Minecraft, where you build, create, design, or even fight, force the player to be more creative. Even in Minecraft, you must think quickly and thoroughly when going against other players. This improves the players' ability to think outside of the box.

Even simple tapping games can improve the player's thinking and reflexes. While I believe tapping games are less beneficial to the player, they still bring benefits either way. Games such as Flappy Bird make the player consider how fast the bird falls, how high, and how fast the bird jumps. Farming games where you just collect money/coins/in game items to spend so you can get more of it, makes players think more economically, and improves their ability to save and spend money correctly.

Games mostly aren't meant to be for learning purposes, but often bring a learning experience anyway. Most of the positive things that games teach players do not directly help them in real life situations, but the abilities can be used to help them with other things. In fact, just by playing a lot of games as a little kid, I was able to improve my typing and piano skills.

I really enjoyed your post! It was very interesting and really made me think. I look foward to reading more of your posts.

I Agree, Mostly

21wyszynskil's picture
Submitted by 21wyszynskil on Mon, 2016-02-29 21:56.

Dear Eric:

I am in agreement with your piece, "Mind Games, Good or Nah" because games that exercise thinking and recognizing patterns can be good for you, and fun at the same time.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "So not necessarily all games, unlike Geometry Dash and CSGO, are bad for you. 0h h1, 2048 and 0h n0 are great ways to exercise logic and patterns." I think this is only partially correct because games like Counter Strike give you an intense situation where you rely on your reflexes and muscle memory to survive. These games help train quick thinking and good strategies.

Another sentence that I disagree with was: "many people still argue that these games are as worse as games such as Black Ops and Minecraft" This stood out for me because I hate CoD and I don't really like minecraft or any of these really popular games at gamestop for 50 dollars. CS:GO is my favorite game but it isn't as popular as CoD or MC.

I agree with you that Brain Games are good for you. One reason I say this is these games train your brain to thorough thinking. Another reason I agree with you is games like CS:GO can't train thorough thinking because it is such a fast paced game, so the phone games contrast this.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I love to read anything about video games and relating to CS:GO because that is something I can relate to.

I respect this immensely.

eric_yu2001's picture
Submitted by eric_yu2001 on Thu, 2016-03-03 10:42.

I respect this immensely. Although I never really played CoD or CSGO, I saw lots of my friends play it. I came for the assumption that they are so obsessed it, and they did terrible in grades, that CSGO and CoD had no use at all. However, Minecraft convinced me to be a little more creative, although many minigame servers are evolving Minecraft into games like WarCraft and CSGO due to plugins. Minecraft is off my list for being creative when you play it alone. CSGO, I didn't know much about it. The reason why I don't play it is because I like to avoid blood, and it takes some crazy accuracy and reflexes, which I don't have. However, I need to think about how that game could lead to finding someone with quick reflexes, numerous jobs will require that.

Thanks for your reply and adding to my discussion!

I Agree, Mostly

21wyszynskil's picture

Dear Eric:

I Agree

21karhanm's picture
Submitted by 21karhanm on Tue, 2016-03-01 17:03.

I feel as if your point is very good and would like to add that once people begin to develop skills in games like Oh h1 it is a sign that the game helped. For example, if you complete a hard level in Geometry dash like Clubstep, it shows that your hand-eye coordination has improved from the time you started playing the game. Games that might not help you are ones the don't keep you alert like Disney Frozen Snowball Fight...

I believe that when you said "Many of these games also find a good way to kill time and bring mood to us." it was a good point because brain games don't always have to be dreary and boring. Although their cover may not brandish a "Officially Sponsored by Healthy Minds Committee","Valve Hidden Path" could mean the same thing. Just because it's fun doesn't mean that it rots your brain. Many games that are not classifyed "Brain Games" still help hand eye coordination, faster reflex time, and better social skills if the game is multiplayer.

Nice article, I am looking forward to reading another argument like this.

Geometry Dash...

eric_yu2001's picture
Submitted by eric_yu2001 on Thu, 2016-03-03 10:36.

As a player that has defeated all the main levels, along with about 10 extras, I can say that geometry dash is a way to exercise memory and finger accuracy, it does not mean a lot to hand eye coordination. When I play that game, I only focus on looking at the level, while my hand memorizes information and data on when to fly, flap, jump or wave.

Although Geometry Dash is a fun game and it can test your reflexes, it is not considered much of an educational game. It is a great game to play in our free time, and it does help you with memorization.

I

21karhanm's picture
Submitted by 21karhanm on Tue, 2016-03-01 17:05.

I

I Agree

Submitted by 21biswashs on Tue, 2016-03-01 17:04.

Mind games are very helpful and useful to the mind and trains your brain better. Mind games like codes or scrambled words are good examples of mind games. Not only is mind games good for the brain and mind, it is also good for the future because if someone were to ask you something that they couldn't understand, you could help them because your mind is trained for any problem. In my opinion, I love mind games but it's up for you to decide whether you like mind games or not.

I Agree

I Agree

I agree.

21karhanm's picture
Submitted by 21karhanm on Tue, 2016-03-01 17:06.

I agree.