The Mouse and the Lion

by: 16wangc

I created the Scratch animation The Mouse and the Lion as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is similar to a fable or folk tale. In an ethical story, usually one main character is given choices to make, and chooses either the good one, or the bad one, which are the ethical decisions of an ethical story. The ethical decision that the character makes in the story affects the outcome of the story, which teaches a valuable and useful life lesson to its readers.

My story is about a mouse named Stanley, and how he learns that being too overconfident can lead to bad things. The mouse lives in a jungle filled with countless animals. He was very troublesome and always played pranks on other animals in the jungle regardless of their size because he was always confident that he would be able to escape away with the advantage of being tiny, and most of the time, he was successful in escaping.

One day, the mighty lion, the king of the jungle, was trapped and captured by hunters in a rope net, which was very unexpected, considering his size. The lion tried to get free from the ropes, but the more the lion tried to get free, the more tangled the ropes got.

The mouse, knowing that the lion was captured by hunters decided to play a prank on the lion, which is one choice of the ethical decision. The mouse placed some food in the front of the lion, at a close distance, but which the lion almost, but could not reach. The lion thought that the mouse was being nice and was trying to help him, so he tried to reach for the food, for the lion did not know yet that it was a trick. As the lion reached for the food, the rope got more and more entangled and the lion became furious, realizing that it was Stanley, the mouse who had tricked him.

The lion promised himself that once he got free from the ropes, he would get revenge on the mouse. And the lion eventually did get free, as well as getting revenge. The other choice of the ethical decision is choosing to help the lion get free from the rope net trap by nibbling on the ropes since the mouse had the advantage of being small and was able to get in and out the rope trap easily. By helping the lion, the mouse and the lion would become great friends forever, and the lion promised that he would help the mouse whenever he was in danger or needed help.

My story was inspired by the original classic fable, “The Lion and the Mouse”, told by Aesop. I decided on my story by seeing that “The Lion and the Mouse” taught a good lesson after reading it, how there are advantages and disadvantages to being both small, or big, and how size does not determine your ability. With that, I decided on the lesson I would teach in my ethical story, how being to overconfident can lead to bad things, in addition to the lesson in the original story of how there are advantages and disadvantages of being both small or big. The original fable of “The Lion and the Mouse” inspired me to come up with ideas I used in my ethical story. I found the original fable on this website, and used it to help come up with ideas: http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_lionmouse.html

I think I was successful in creating my story because I feel that I have included all the requirements in my ethical story Scratch animation. My animation is around 3 minutes long and is interactive, so the viewers can help the character make ethical decisions. There are different outcomes and effects for the different ethical decisions that the viewer chooses for the character. I have also credited the websites/sources/authors that have provided me with ideas or images. Finally, I also think that my story is appropriate for children up to 13 years old.

Review of your ethical story

16jumanm's picture
Submitted by 16jumanm on Thu, 2012-01-05 17:40.

I liked the mouse sprite, it was really cute. I also thought the plot was pretty good, because at the end the moral was pretty clear and it all made sense. It was simple, but good.

I noticed that you had large pieces of text on a solid background explaining the story and the background before and after the decision was made. I think you could have improved your story by maybe including a dialogue between Stanley and the other mice, because it would have made your story longer and more complex, instead of explaining everything in text.

The ethical dilemma in your story worked fine. The mechanics for choosing were very easy, you just clicked on a button, and the appropriate consequence followed the choice. However, the wrong choice wasn't very tempting, because it said "do something bad". I think it was pretty clear which choice was right and which was wrong. Maybe you should have said what the bad thing was and what the good thing was, like freeing the lion as the good thing, for example. Other than that, your story met all the requirements.

asdfghjkl

Submitted by 16heronp on Thu, 2012-01-05 22:22.

OMG this animation was rrreeeally good! I enjoyed reading/interacting with it!
the pictures were really good and I enjoyed watching this animation to a fable that I actually know and like.... remember! LOL
keep up the good work.

Comment on Project

16mizukamia's picture
Submitted by 16mizukamia on Fri, 2012-01-06 06:40.

I think that your story was good, and I loved how the mouse sprite looks cute but evil. I think that you should add more decisions and make it different from the original story, and instead of ending the decision after the first decision, you should continue it. Also, I noticed that if I clicked both the "good" and "Bad", the results of both came one after another for every scene, so you should fix that... The decisions could also be more convincing, so I think you should change the choices and at least not say "good" or "bad". It was fun to watch what happened after both choices though.

One thing I really liked

Submitted by Brian on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:11.

One thing I really liked about this animation was when the animation had two options for the mouse, and gave us the choice to select what the mouse should do to the lion. 

The ethical dilemma in this animation was wether or not the mouse should help the lion or he shoulkd do something bad and pull a prank on him. 

I like how you chose such an

Submitted by 17sarwarakonm on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:11.

I like how you chose such an easy story to do. And I really like the sound effects that you put in, like the "doi doi doi doi" thing that the mouse did. But I think you should take out the techno music in the background. It's playing throughout the whole story, so it kind of is distracting when other sounds are playing and when the sprites are talking and or thinking. Other than that, I liked it.

I like the story you set up.

17costae's picture
Submitted by 17costae on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:51.

I like the story you set up. The entire idea was very good, with the mouse tricking the lion. The ethical dilemma you chose to do was very good. The mouse could either trick the lion or do something nice. However, I don't think it was a very realistic animation and not everything made sense.

this was good animation, the

Submitted by 17devkotaa on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:53.

this was good animation, the graphic was great and the animation was pretty good too. but I did think the ethical dilemma was bit to simple, instead of saying click for something good, you should say click to save the lion or click not to...so that way you could let the viewer decide whats good and whats not.
good job overall

One thing I really liked

Submitted by 17tenezacab on Sat, 2012-04-28 12:21.

One thing I really liked about this animation was when there were two options whether to make the mouse do the wrong or right thing, and when ever you clicked on one of them the animation would show you what happened.
The ethical dilemma was either to do the right or wrong thing for the mouse]

One thing I had liked was

Submitted by 17ahmedf on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:03.

One thing I had liked was that you choose to see what happens and when you choose to do something bad you can see the mouse actually running away. The ethical decision is more easy to decide to help because the lion is dangerous and if you decide to prank it you will have something done to you by the lion. So it is easier to decide to do something good.

I really liked how you let

17alis's picture
Submitted by 17alis on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:07.

I really liked how you let the viewer push the buttons when they had to make the ethical desicion for the mouse. I also liked how you added the sounds in the background for everything. It really matched the situation. The ethical desicion in this project was how the mouse had to chose to play the prank on the lion or help him instead. When the mouse chose to help him they became frineds. When the mouse pranked the lion, it cost him his life. I like how you showed that

Great Animation.

Submitted by 17chowdhurym on Wed, 2012-05-02 17:18.

This animation is very well done. I really liked how you added the different music sounds to go with the scene it is in. It's engaging and I wanted to know what would happen next. The view interaction was interesting because of the two usual choices. I thought that the lion would be the one in trouble but it was the other way around. The plot was cute too with the little mouse and the king lion. The ethical decision in this animation was done well as of where I had to choose between two options. It was obvious of what was going to happen next because I already knew the story but in this animation I was not quite clear till the end which made it more interesting.

Great Animation.

Submitted by 17chowdhurym on Wed, 2012-05-02 17:19.

Just commenting

17alamt's picture
Submitted by 17alamt on Wed, 2012-05-02 19:25.

This animation was very cute! One thing I liked about it was that you added texts before the action so people can understand the background story. One thing about the ethical decision that didn't go well was how if the mouse took the bad decision, the lion would've been tricked but it would just stop there. I think you should have added on to the scenes.