Multiple Intelligences

by: lkim

Multiple Intelligences

Learning is a skill that everyone must have. To get through life, you need knowledge, and to get knowledge you must learn things in school. There are different learning skills, they have different ways of learning. There are those that learn fast, and those that learn slow. The people that learn slowly, usually have to go over something again and again while those that work quickly can understand it at once. There are also that work well in groups, and those that work alone. Those that work well in groups help each other on topics they can't understand. However, some people can not work well in groups, and prefer to work alone.
    There are eight different kinds of intelligences. These intelligences are Linguistic, Logical/Mathematical, Spatial, Bodily/Kinesthetic, Musical, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, and Naturalistic. Everyone has all of these multiple intelligences but some are more dominant than other ones. For example, one can be good at Bodily/Kinesthetic but not as good in Mathematical/Logical.The dominant multiple intelligences depend on the person's learning style. Depending on a person's learning style, there are certain things they are good at, and ways they learn best by.
    The first type of the multiple intelligences is Linguistic Learners. Linguistic learners are also called "The Word Players". This type of learners are usually good in the subject of English. Their strong point is memorizing. They excel at memorizing places, names, dates, which basically means they have good memorizing skills. They enjoy reading, writing, and telling people stories. This kind of learner is better at learning by saying, hearing, or saying words.
    The second of the multiple intelligences are Logical/Mathematical learners. They are also called "The Questioner." As the name implies they are good in the subject of mathematics. Not only that they are good at reasoning and logic. Mathematical learners enjoy many things. They like exploring patterns and relationships, figuring things, and not to mention working with numbers.
    The next of the multiple intelligences is the Spatial Learner. Also known as "The Visualizer," they enjoy drawing/creating things, they love to daydream and watch movies. They are a very creative group. Spatialists are good at imagining things, as they are very creative and is good at sensing changes. As their other name implies, they learn best by visualizing, dreaming of something. They work extremely well with colors/pictures.
    After there is the Bodily/Kinesthetic learners. Since they are bodily learners, they are also called "The Mover," as they move around a lot. They excel in physical activities and crafts. They learn best through bodily sensations. This basically means they learn better through touching and moving than a different type of learner would. 

Then there is the Musical learner, or "The Music Lover." These people love music so they like singing and listening to music. Musical learners often play instruments, since they like making sounds. To play an instrument you need to be able to pick up sounds, remember melodies, and noticing pitch/rhythms, all of which a musical learner is good at. They learn well through rhythm, melody, and music.
   There is also Interpersonal learners or "The Socializer". They are very sociable, and people enjoy being with them. They would probably learn better in a group rather than alone. Since they are very sociable, it would mean they are good at understanding and communicating with others. They are the ones who usually organize events, and mediate a conflict. Therefore, because they are usually in groups; they learn best through sharing, comparing, relating, cooperating, and interviewing another. They would not be able to do this if they were alone.
    Intrapersonal learners are the exact opposite of an interpersonal learner. Intrapersonal learners are also called "The Individual." While interpersonal learners would work well in a group an intrapersonal learner would work better alone. This does not mean they do not enjoy being around people, it just means they work best without other people around to disturb them. If they are alone they can understand themselves better, while focusing on their dreams and feelings.
    Finally, the last of the multiple intelligences is the Naturalistic Learner. They are also called "The Outdoorsman," as they enjoy nature. They like to be one with nature, meaning they enjoy being with animals and plants. They notice the environment more than another type of learner would. As such, they learn better by being outside, through observation. They use the five senses smelling, touching, tasting, seeing, and hearing.
    I myself took a multiple intelligence quiz to see what my more dominant ones were. It turns out I was balanced. My more dominant intelligences were bodily/kinesthetic, intrapersonal musical, and visual/spatial. My less dominant ones were verbal/linguistic, logical/mathematical/ intrapersonal, and naturalistic. In other words, I am the type of person who likes being around others and moving around. The results that I received on the quiz were averaged in with those of my age/country group and with those of my class.
    The results of males aged 15-16 in the United States, were similar to what I received. Most of the males seem to be dominant in bodily/kinesthetic. Also, interestingly enough, the males got the same score on interpersonal and intrapersonal learning. The males also seemed to do well in visual/spatial and musical. However, we received a low percentage on logical, linguistic, and naturalistic.
    The result of my class were gotten by averaging the percentage of both the females and the males in the class. We seemed to do exceptionally well in intrapersonal. Interpersonal and kinesthetic got around the same percentage. However, there were three multiple intelligences that got the same percentage, they are Naturalistic, Visual, and Musical..
    This sums up learning profiles and multiple intelligences. People have different ways of learning. It basically depends on the kind of person you are. Schools should take into account students different learning styles and put into their lessons. This way students may do better in school, and have a better graduate rate.