Music and Minds

The question I'd like to pose is, why are people drawn to different genres of music? I'm interested in this because my taste in music is very different than my friends taste in music and I'd like to know why.

Through a quick search I discovered that music preference is quite arbitrary. Although it is mostly random there are two large factors that affect taste in music; one is a person's upbringing and the other is "cultural exposure" or the music that is in one's culture (http://www.centerpointaudio.com/MusicandYou.aspx) Through life experiences you encounter sounds that you become accustomed to; you learn to enjoy these sounds which is why you, in turn, have a specific music preference. Another thing to remember is that music is composed of sound so we are actually looking into why some people like certain sounds than others. There is a part of our brain called the auditory cortex which is unique to each person which some scientists believe is why people's taste in music is so different (http://ideastations.org/science-matters/question-your-world/question-you...).

The way I went about finding this information was rather simple. I googled phrases like 'why do we like the music we do' and 'music preferences'. Normally to find information for topics such as these I go about the same way by starting with a google search. Sometimes I rely on books but not normally because I find the internet to be more recently updated than most books.

Country Music?

Submitted by mschmiett on Tue, 2014-09-09 13:12.

This is very interesting! I know how you like country music while I find that sound somewhat obnoxious. But that's okay! My auditory cortex must be different then yours which makes us both individual and unique human beings. Maybe, in the future, you could look into the instruments or the parts of the songs one finds pleasing to the ear. Are their certain instruments that people are more inclined to listen to? Or do the beat or the lyrics also influence one's inclination towards a song? Hurrah for your country music taste.

What are you drawn to?

Submitted by mikekearns on Tue, 2014-09-09 15:40.

This was very interesting. I think I have a very odd range of music that I listen to. It would be great to know what kind of music do you like and what sounds are you drawn to? Then someone like me could analyze my favorite music and sounds not only to the information you provided, but also compare them to another person. But this was very informative and very interesting.

I recently stumbled upon this

Submitted by egoldsmith97 on Tue, 2014-09-09 21:36.

I recently stumbled upon this link: http://www.allmusic.com/moods I personally think music preference has a lot to do with mood. In a way you can tell if someone is more reserved or outgoing based on their music selection.

Dear Rachelstruhs: I am

Submitted by nlucaspablo on Wed, 2014-09-10 13:55.

Dear Rachelstruhs:
I am impressed by your post, "Music and Minds" because I have never thought about this but I think it is an interesting topic.
I have taken science class but I have not really pay attention to the different parts of the body like the auditory cortex, but I think it is something good to know.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I am impressed about your topic it is something that I have thought about and I think yoju will come up with a different topic.

music

Submitted by n_daw15 on Wed, 2014-09-10 16:14.

This is a very interesting topic,and I would like to learn more about it.Does being exposed to different grnres of music as a child affect their preference as they get older,that is just a question I have. Great job and this is a great topic.

Dear Rachelstruhs, That is a

Submitted by yessibmojica on Wed, 2014-09-10 22:42.

Dear Rachelstruhs,

That is a very good question. Why are people drawn to different genres of music? Well I listen to all types of genres of music reasons because of that is because I like hearing something new every once in a while :) such as the instruments beats and voices of the music. Some music gets me Motivated I LOVE listening to music when I'm studying, working out, cleaning, or just walking/taking public transportation to the destination I'm going to. I CAN'T live with out music I don't know what I'll do. I go crazy when my earphones break! I go to the store ASAP to get new ones reasons why I LOVE listening to music because once the earphones are in my ears the whole world just pauses and it makes me feel like i'm in charge like I can do anything actually! I get unexplained feelings about it but there GOOD unexplained feelings.