My Baby Sister

Lincoln Hospital, Bronx, NY

I was in the computer watching a video with my big sister and my cousin. My mom came out from the bathroom with a surprised face I was really confused I had no idea what was going on. Then my mom said “I'm having a baby”. I jumped up from the chair and gave her a big hug everyone was so excited and surprised. It was a Monday morning and I was in second grade. I told my teacher then with a sweet voice she told me that I was going to be a big sister. I wasn't thinking about it like that I had one idea I was going to be a big sister I was even more excited.

About 2-3 month passed and my mom's belly was getting big. My mom wanted me to go to the doctor they didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. Everyone keeps on telling my mom that it was going to be a boy my mom wanted to start buying things for the baby so that same day we went to buy a lot of things for the baby but things for boys…. I wasn't so sure if we should buy anything because we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl. my mom and everyone else just assumed that it was a boy.

In the seventh and eighth months, my mom had everything for boys. My mom and I went to check out the baby my mom didn't even dare to ask if it was a boy or a girl so I ask. the results was that the baby was a girl. my mom was only thinking about how much money did she spent on the baby boy that's not even a boy. We had to return everything it was a hard work.

I had to stay home with my big cousin while my mom was in the hospital giving birth to my baby sister . My uncle went to pick my mom up from the hospital. my big sister wanted to put make-up on me I looked pretty. My mom finally arrived. I was so excited.she was so beautiful I felt relieved i had mixed emotions but until this day my baby sister is annoying but she will always be my little sister.

ithink your mom should of

djoseph's picture
Submitted by djoseph on Tue, 2013-09-24 09:14.

ithink your mom should of wait to see if it was a boy are girl then she would not have buy all that clothes for you baby sister but she bought boy clothes

I know. At one point I was

cindyrodriguez's picture
Submitted by cindyrodriguez on Tue, 2013-09-24 10:51.

I know. At one point I was thinking about telling my mom but I just went along with it

dear cindy, i am happy by

Submitted by ekirby on Tue, 2013-09-24 09:16.

dear cindy,
i am happy by your post your post.

Dear Cindy: I am interested

jbasora's picture
Submitted by jbasora on Tue, 2013-09-24 11:12.

Dear Cindy:

I am interested in your post, "My baby sister", because I also have a little sister. My story is a littler different. My mother didn't know she was pregnant until to one day she had stomach pain. when she want to the hospital they told my mom it was time to give birth.

I like how you related to my

cindyrodriguez's picture
Submitted by cindyrodriguez on Thu, 2013-09-26 09:47.

I like how you related to my story. I also hope that yo and your mom are happy with your baby sister

Dear Cindy: I am interested

jbasora's picture
Submitted by jbasora on Wed, 2013-10-09 09:16.

Dear Cindy:

I am interested in your post, "My baby sister", because I also have a little sister. My story is a little different. My mother didn't know she was pregnant until to one day she had stomach pain. when she went to the hospital they told my mom it was time to give birth.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “my mom was only thinking about how much money did she spent on the baby boy that's not even a boy. We had to return everything it was a hard work”. I think this surprised me because my mom had the money to buy my sister’s stuff but could not buy her anything. My sister Kiara was so small she only weighs 4lb.

Another sentence that loved was My uncle went to pick my mom up from the hospital. my big sister wanted to put makeup on me I looked pretty. This stood out for me because I got ready to pick my sister and my mom. Then when I got to hospital we can’t t my sister home caucus my sister something come out in her eyes so that why we can’t took her home.

Your post reminds me of sister.One time my sister to walk at the age of 1 year old and 3 month. She use to walk the whole house. Run the house and crying and eating a lot. Eating stuff from the floor.

Thanks for your writing.I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you make stuff easy.

It reminds me of my days

amartinez's picture
Submitted by amartinez on Tue, 2013-09-24 13:34.

Dear Cindy:

I am very happy with your post, “My Baby Sister,” because it talks about what you felt about what your mom said and how you felt about the baby.

One sentence that stands out to me is when you were happy about the baby. You wrote: “ I feel relieved that I had mixed emotions.” I think this is surprising because I could imagine how you felt when you heard about the baby and how you felt about it.

Another sentence that stands out to me is when you complimented the baby.You wrote: “She is so beautiful.”This stood out to me because my mom use to tell me stories of when people gave me compliments when I was a baby.

This post reminds me of when my brothers gave me a pain but they are my brothers so I have to deal with it.

Thanks for your writing.I look forward to see what you write next because you write some really good stuff and you also write some interesting stuff

thank you, and I did have

cindyrodriguez's picture
Submitted by cindyrodriguez on Thu, 2013-09-26 09:55.

thank you, and I did have mixed emotion when I found out that I was going to be a big sister. I was so existed. I just didn't know what to do , I just jumped up and gave my mom a big hug because I didn't know what to say

To Cindy

Submitted by ekirby on Wed, 2013-10-02 09:31.

I am happy with your post,”My baby sister,”because it explains how you felt when you found out your mom was pregnant. I know you also mention you thought that you and your mom thought the baby was a boy.I also liked how you described how you felt.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is.”My mom came out from the bathroom with a surprised face I was really confused I had no idea what was going on. Then my mom said “I'm having a baby”.This stood out to me because 2 years ago I was in my moms room she came out the bathroom and looked at me with this weird i looked at her then she sat down and said i'm pregnant”.My face light up with excitement .

Another sentence that stands out to me is: ”About 2-3 month passed and my mom's belly was getting big.”This stood out to me because when my mom was pregnant, as months went past her belly was getting bigger and rounder.When I touched her belly I could feel the baby kick.

Thanks for your writing.I look forward to seeing what you write next,because I love your stories and i think you're a good writer.
you're also an interesting person.I would love to read one of your stories again.

general discussion response

lgonzalez's picture
Submitted by lgonzalez on Thu, 2013-09-26 13:10.

dear cindy,
My name is lgonzalez and i just finished reading your post. that very touching and i almost cried because I've never heard someone say that they were extremely happy to be an older brother or sister.
The one sentence that really stood out to me was: "I told my teacher then with a sweet voice she told me that I was going to be a big sister. I wasn't thinking about it like that I had one idea I was going to be a big sister I was even more excited ." that already shows that before your little sister was born, you were devoted to her at any cost or means.
another sentence that stood out as well was: "she was so beautiful I felt relieved i had mixed emotions." i never realized that i wasn't the only one to be as devoted to my younger siblings. there's kids out there who just let their siblings die out here in this cold world. i'm telling you this, from older sister to older sister, watch her with every little second because anything could happen.

Baby Sister

bmartinez's picture
Submitted by bmartinez on Thu, 2013-10-03 09:15.

Dear Cindy:

I am happy about what happened to your mom because the same thing happened to my mom. My mom had a girl too. It's funny because the same thing happened to my mom.

One sentence you wrote that make me happy is: "My baby sister is annoying, but she will always be my little sister."

Another sentence that makes me happy was: “Your mom was having a girl." Good luck. Your mom had a girl. It reminds me of when my mom had a girl.

Your essay reminds me something that happened to me. One time my little sister was walking to me and it was her first time walking. I didn't see her walk until I looked back and she walked for the first time. I still remember that time.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like what you write ;) !!

Dear Cindy, I am beyond

Submitted by vfarmer on Thu, 2013-10-03 09:34.

Dear Cindy,

I am beyond intrigued with your post about your baby sister because i can Definitely relate to it because the same thing happened to me when i found out something also.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is when you said you was so excited to be a big sister i think this is astounding because i remember when my neice was born i was very excited as well.

Another sentence you wrote that stands out for me was when you said you couldn't wait until the baby came i felt the same way when my neice came home therefore i was very excited and i know you couldn’t wait.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. The time i found out my sister was pregnant i was about 10 years old and then people started telling me that i was going to be a uncle and then i felt excited because i knew i had a responsibility to with hold so i was excited when she came home she was so beautiful.
Thanks for your writing i look forward to seeing what you write next, because i want to see more of your post about your baby sister and what you are going to post more of THANKS again Cindy.

L.a

euclnath's picture
Submitted by euclnath on Thu, 2013-10-03 14:04.

I know how that feels.

It happen to be a littl gril

draknich's picture
Submitted by draknich on Thu, 2013-10-03 14:05.

It happen to be a littl gril

I was very exited when my

klaaanna's picture
Submitted by klaaanna on Thu, 2013-10-03 14:26.

I was very exited when my cosin was born . My ants belly kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

General discussion

hoffjenn's picture
Submitted by hoffjenn on Fri, 2013-10-11 11:38.

Dear cindyrodriguez,
I am astonished about your post My Baby Sister because I went through the same experience when I got my new baby sister. It was very exciting and confusing at my age. I was only in 2nd grade when I got my new sister. I thought I would never get another sibling. It was a wonderful experience.

One sentence that stuck out to me was "I wasn't so sure if we should buy anything because we didn't know if it was a boy or a girl." I love that sentence because you were right. I'm like that al, time in my family when I say something and they don't believe but in the end I turned out to be right.

Another quote that stuck out to me was "I had to stay home with my big cousin while my mom was in the hospital giving birth to my baby sister ." That quote reminded me of the time when my cousin had to always babysit me when I was little and take care of me. Your post of My Baby Sister makes me think of so many connections in my life.

Your post reminds me of the time when I got a new family member. I got a new sister and it was the best time of my life. I bet you're having a good time with your sister. Babies are so much fun. Your piece really makes me think back at my memories with my sister.

Thanks for writing. I can't wait to see what you write next.

My Sister

Submitted by andysagers on Tue, 2013-10-08 10:33.

I can definitely relate to your story. My sister really wanted a younger sister, then I was born, a full fledged boy. I'm glad they didn't buy me all girly stuff though. That must of been a great suprise!

Baby

Submitted by CarterHendrickson on Tue, 2013-10-08 12:09.

Dear Cindy,
I'm very happy to hear about your baby sister! It's a little ironic after making the assumption it was a boy, then it turned out to be a boy. It's like a sitcom episode! But non the less, I'm very happy for you and your family.

Baby Sister

Submitted by Kamekazee on Tue, 2013-10-08 12:14.

It's great that you cherish your baby sister. I was so lucky to have my siblings to look up to and protect me, and I hope that you will fulfill that role as well. You are truly a model for your siblings, and it's really great that you feel so amiably towards your sister. Good luck!

My cousin who lives with me

Submitted by Alec on Tue, 2013-10-08 15:10.

My cousin who lives with me was adopted and quite similarly to you we were unaware of the sex of the child we were going to adopt. So in consequence we bought sex neutral colors such as green and red, that way the baby would not feel as though he was being dressed femininely if a boy or masculinely if a man. Finally 3 weeks before my cousin came into my family we discovered it was a boy and ensured to purchase many manly colors like blue and black as to ensure the baby's keen fashion taste was satisfied.

Baby

Submitted by Maddydob on Tue, 2013-10-08 15:12.

I'm so excited for you! I remember when my mom brought home my baby sister. It's so fun and exciting.. I hope you guys become close :)

My cousin who lives with me

Submitted by Alec on Tue, 2013-10-08 15:12.

Glen's comment to cindy

grodriguez's picture
Submitted by grodriguez on Fri, 2013-11-15 10:30.

Dear Cindy:

I am surprised that your mom spent all that money for no reason she really thought it was a boy.
Your mom was probably so disgusted with herself for wasting all that money for a boy baby but it was a girl.If it was me i would have been so angry.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I jumped up from the chair and gave her a big hug to everyone I was so excited and surprised.”I think this is very exciting because she’s having a new family member.

Another sentence that I overcame was I jumped up from the chair and gave her a big hug everyone was so excited and surprised. This stood out for me because I would have done the same thing if I was having a new brother or sister.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. My 25 year old cousin had a second baby. I got all hype to because I was getting a new cousin. She thought it was a girl and she bought all girl stuff.She got all that for no reason it was a boy she was mad but excited for having a new baby.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your stories are really entertaining. I hope the next one is better than this story.

AWW I REALLY LOVE YOUR

Submitted by asanchez on Wed, 2014-02-26 10:22.

AWW I REALLY LOVE YOUR MEMOIR,BECAUSE YOU SAID MANY DETAILS, AND YOU EXPLAINED YOUR SELF. AND MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN YOUR MOM CAME HOME WITH THE BABY. THE LESSON WAS THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUR LITTLE SISTER NO MATTER WHAT.

I am interested with your

mortiz's picture
Submitted by mortiz on Thu, 2014-09-11 12:08.

I am interested with your post because you talk about how everyone was saying that your mom was gonna have a baby boy but it turns out to be a baby girl
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “She was so beautiful I felt relieved I had mixed emotions but until this day my baby sister is annoying but she will always be my little sister”.
Another sentence that I like is “In the seventh and eighth months, my mom had everything for boys. My mom and I went to check out the baby my mom didn't even dare to ask if it was a boy or a girl so I ask”.
your reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my brother’s girl had a baby
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your post was very interested.

cindys baby sister

Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 2014-09-18 14:42.

Dear cindy

I am very amused with you memoir,My baby sister,because you wrote it like you care about your baby sister

one sentence you wrote that stands out for me is she was so beautiful I felt relieved i had mixed emotions but until this day my baby sister is annoying but she will always be my little sister.I think this a good way to express your feeling toward your sister.

you're memoir reminds me when my brother came out my mother's belly.I was in my aunts house and i was jumping on the couch.My aunt was pregnant to and she told me we was going to the hospital.when we got there my brother was so small and cut he smiled at me.

thank you for your writing.I look forward to seeing what you write next because when you write you express your feelings

baby sister/layza

lhiciano's picture
Submitted by lhiciano on Thu, 2014-09-18 14:50.

Dear cindy