On My Block

by: dariusb

On my block we like to have fun
Fire hydrants open in the hot sun
Marmots in the winter because of the cold
Everybody knows each other young to old
It’s not all fun and game at times it gets critical
there are times you could walk and people try to get at you
there’s a lot of personalities and characteristics
a lot of basketball players that score more than they dish it

Response to: On My Block

Submitted by baetir on Sun, 2012-02-26 01:42.

Dear Darius,

I was interested in your post, “On My Block” because I agree with your thoughts and ideas. Also how similar our neighborhoods are to each other, and your views of this concept; even the type of activities you do in your neighborhood through time.

One sentence that I liked was: “It’s not all fun and game at times it gets critical..” I chose this sentence because I agree with you, it’s not always safe in our neighborhoods. Also we need to face reality there’s people out there with bad intentions who are looking for trouble; which ends up hurting the innocents.

Another sentence that I liked from your post was: “There’s a lot of personalities and characteristics..” I chose this sentence as well because I strongly agree with you about the the people who make up our neighborhoods and what differentiates them from the others.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time in my own neighborhood everything was the usual until some random guy got stabbed. It caused fear around the neighborhood because it was so sudden and no one expected it. Also the man that got stabbed was a guy who had nothing to do with the situation. It was basically a misunderstanding; he was just there at the wrong place at the wrong time. Now years later my neighborhood is more safer and secure, but things will never be the same. There always be that bad feeling of something waiting to go wrong around here.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like your views on things and your opinions about the topics. Also you did have a lot of grammatical errors, but I can see you express yourself strongly through your writing. I appreciate the way you write, but I would consider you extending your writing more and be more descriptive.

Dear Darius berry: I liked

Submitted by lizyer on Mon, 2012-03-05 11:01.

Dear Darius berry:

I liked your post, “On my block,” because it kinda sounds a little like my block only difference is that my block its all about baseball. In my block theirs people that like basketball but its not that popular. Once sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “on my block we like to have fun.” I think this important because whats what there has to be people having fun in the block. Those good moments you have on your block telling them to your kids, those are the good times you spent on that block.

Another sentence that I liked was: “fired hydrants open in the hot sun.” This stood out for me because that's the typical thing that happens in the summer wen its very hot out. That's what is going on a some blocks the fired hydrants open every one having fun under the sun.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was out side in a hot summer day, it was so hot that the flow was producing steam every time something wet fell on it. This crazy guy from m block came and was like lets open the fire hydrant, everyone stood around waiting to feel that water on there faces. The hydrant suddenly flew off and there was water every were people were having so much fun out there.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this post actually reminded me of my block because its kinda live in the summ