My doubts with writing and its impediments

by: Odarri

When I get around to writing, I start to think much about writing impediments, things that I have in the back of my mind, succinctly, the distractions that get in the way of what I want to say and how I want to say it. I find writing to be a delicately hard process. Simply, writing is something that just involves you putting your thoughts on paper. It is usually a matter of how well you’ve said what you wanted to express.

They are many questions that goes through my mind when I write something. Am I writing this with the utmost clarity? Should I use a more cliche phrase or word instead of including words that many people don’t exercise? These are just a few questions that I ask myself before I write something up for a blog post, or whatever it maybe, a research paper, etc. More on ways to generate good writings, I practice to keep in mind a small message a teacher of mine told me once, “just let it flow like a stream.” In order to do that it may take a couple of revisions if you aren’t planning out your essay or paper to the very sentences.

I’ve been researching writing impediments and I found an about writer’s block, a impediment to writing of the worst kind. Feeling or knowing that your thinking-factory has shutdown or is on hiatus when thinking upon a specific topic. That is what I believe writer’s block is all about. According to my research paper from wikipedia,

Writer’s block is a condition, associated with writing as a profession, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work. A temporary difficulty with dealing with the task at hand.  At the other extreme, some “blocked” writers have been unable to work for years on end, and some have even abandoned their careers. It can manifest as the affected writer viewing their work as inferior or unsuitable, when in fact it could be the opposite. Writer’s block. Wikipedia.

This definition makes me much more aware of what writer’s block is, and inspires me to write better knowing that even viewing my thoughts as inferior or unsuitable is the real impediment to my writing and feeling of expression. Some other things in the article that I highlighted to be important to identify as true impediments to writing are feelings of depression, sense of failure, feeling compelled to work too fast, in an unsuitable style or genre, and  feelings of intimidation are emotions not to have while writing.

When I begin to write I think about a few things, the task, and how I can avoid outside distractions and impediments that may get in the way. However, now that I realize that those listed things can be impediments to my writing I will stand clear to always be in my zone when I write.

I really liked your post.

Submitted by kwilliams2 on Sun, 2010-10-31 16:53.

I really liked your post. I love writing myself and it always been something that helped me cope and understand many different feelings of mine. I like that you think of questions like " Am I writing this with the utmost clarity? Should I use a more cliche phrase or word instead of including words that many people don’t exercise?" when you write. I personally let everything come out in a flow emotion. If it's not for school, any paper I write have a certain flow of emotions to it. I don't think about the words I use or anything like that. I think more in the sense of the quote you used: “just let it flow like a stream.”

However, for school as well I allow myself to had little hints of myself and how I feel about the topic. I think it gives my papers more of a personal voice.

Writers block is very annoying, especially when you have a deadline. I agree with the quote you got from Wikipedia but I never really felt like people should give up their careers because of it. I feel like you should take some time out, maybe go to new places, see new things, maybe even finding a new outlet. That allows a lot of creative juices to flow and allow people to continue writing.