My Experience of Hurricane Sandy

by: 17tsangc

I did not think Hurricane Sandy was a big deal. During the hurricane, I literally went outside to feel how windy it was. That was an exciting moment. If only it wasn't drizzling, it would have been the perfect day. Even after the hurricane has passed us, I didn't think it was really important, until I turned on the television and saw flooded areas, fires, and destroyed houses. I heard of people without electricity. I heard of gas shortage. I realized how destructive Hurricane Sandy really was. When I went outside, down the street were down trees. It seemed pretty sad because I saw a huge tree fall on some family's gate. I liked that gate.
Because I lived on top of a hill, there was no flooding. My house was not damaged at all which was surprising because I have two evergreen trees in front of my house that are taller than my house. I wished it would fall over on my neighbors' house (we don't have such a great relationship). Luckily, the power lines were not taken out by trees nearby. Even luckier, my dad has a hybrid, so gas shortage- no problem. We can live without a week or two without pumping gas into that car.
So, Hurricane Sandy wasn't so bad after all- well only for my family. Hopefully your family was as lucky as mine.

On the hill

MrHodgson's picture
Submitted by MrHodgson on Tue, 2012-11-06 05:41.

I'm glad to hear that you were on higher ground during the storm, and that is mostly missed your house and family. It's always nice to count ourselves lucky when disaster is averted, while still remembering that other folks were not so lucky.
Mr. Hodgson
Norris Elementary School
Southampton, Massachusetts

Hurricane Sandy

Submitted by montanasage6 on Tue, 2012-11-06 15:27.

This was a crazy time and after reading this it just made it more real! It seem like it was a very impacting storm, for everyone. Sad to hear about all this, Pray for all of there families and friends.
Montana
Judge High school

That's good to hear that you

Submitted by Sarah Kranz on Tue, 2012-11-06 15:27.

That's good to hear that you were lucky enough to not be affected all that much. Sorry to hear about the gate. Maybe they'll get a new, better gate.

i agree

Submitted by Allegra on Tue, 2012-11-06 15:30.

i agree with you, at first i did not fully understand how big of a deal hurricane sandy was. it just shows how much media really shows us and changed our lives.

lucky

Submitted by Josiah Smyrl on Wed, 2012-11-07 11:56.

I am so glad to hear that you are okay. You are lucky that your home town wasn't greatly affected by the hurricane. I hope that nobody you knew or loved was hurt or killed during the storm. I hope people help out with the situation over there. Good luck!

From,

Josiah Smyrl

Joaquin Moraga Middle School

California

I useed to live in New Jersey

Submitted by Shay on Wed, 2012-11-07 12:04.

I useed to live in New Jersey even though i dont anymore it still means a lot to me. Im so glad your family is ok.

Glad..

Submitted by Michelle Rottana on Wed, 2012-11-07 13:43.

Glad to here it wasn't all bad for your and your family. For those of you who weren't as fortunate i really hope everything is well for you and your family now, and if its not trust me, it will get better! So sorry to hear about everything all of you have had to go through. We are making an effort on the West COast to try to even come close to what you all had to experience! 

Glad..

Submitted by Michelle Rottana on Wed, 2012-11-07 13:44.

Lots of Love, 

Michelle 

mollyoballe@comcast.net

Submitted by Jake on Wed, 2012-11-07 17:12.

First of all, I'm glad to hear that you were on higher ground during the storm. It must have been very hard for you during the storm. I hope you are rebuilding your old life. I also hope that all your friends and even strangers to you are rebuilding their old life as well and that the more unfortunate at least survive and contact thire worrying friends and family.

From, Jake

Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School

Moraga, California

Lucky

Submitted by Jessie N on Wed, 2012-11-07 17:17.

I wish everybody lived on a seperate hill so it would have a less chance of having their house full of water. It's good to hear that many people including you are okay and are getting through the rough times. It's good to know that at least some people are getting back in business and starting their regular lives.

Jessie N