My Favorite Word

http://www.hdwallpaperscool.com/palm-tree-desktop-wallpaper/

My favorite word would have to be vacation. Only because of the fact that just by the sound of it I think of warmer weathers, palm trees, and sandy beaches. For many students as well this word just means freedom from school and homework. It makes us think of summer and our chance to relax and not do anything. The word itself means to go on holiday, or to retreat for an extended amount of time away from home. To me personally a vacation is just any time that I get to sit down and not care or worry about anything. The word makes me happy also, just by the sound of it. No other word can do that. I find that this word alone gets me excited, and can keep me that way for many hours, possibly even days and this quote I found exemplifies that feeling perfectly; “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers... the mind can never break off from the journey”(unknown). The part vaca means vacation in many different languages which makes the word even more cool, only because the word is virtually the same throughout multiple countries. I feel as though many people can find a lot of peace within this word, simply because of how it can bring back many memories, and has the ability to make you think of the things you hope to one day do. That is why vacation is my favorite word.

Good, just a few retouches

Submitted by Lynnea on Mon, 2015-09-21 19:59.

I really enjoy the feeling I get when I hear the word vacation as well. I agree that it reminds me of the freedom to relax. I thought your post conveyed your feelings well but the beginning could use a better catch. Also, you should say who the quote is from.

Thank Lynnea! I actually just

Submitted by Heinemannm16 on Wed, 2015-09-23 08:08.

Thank Lynnea! I actually just fixed the quote mistake. I remember I had intended on putting it in when I was writing everything. And yes just thinking of getting away is amazing. What do you picture when you hear of vacation? Is it the same as me or different?

Megan, I also love the word

Submitted by sarahhayes on Tue, 2015-09-22 19:11.

Megan, I also love the word and idea of vacation. I see that we share an enthusiasm for travel! I find myself researching vacations almost nightly. I enjoyed your essay, my only advice is to use more interesting word choice.

Thanks Sarah I will

Submitted by Heinemannm16 on Wed, 2015-09-23 08:06.

Thanks Sarah I will definitely keep that in mind for the next essay. After I wrote this too I also thought that wanderlust would have been a really good word to use but yes I do love traveling and anything that involves getting away from my normal life (just for a while).

Anticipation and Vacation

Submitted by Cborgialli on Tue, 2015-09-22 21:36.

I love vacation too! For me there are two types of vacation. Firstly, traveling away from home. Secondly taking a break from all the stressful things in your life and having a spa day or even just going out to dinner with a close friend. Before either kind, I get crazy anticipation and will count down the day or even hours! I never knew that vaca was used in many different languages, but I found that very interesting!

I agree with the two types of

Submitted by Heinemannm16 on Wed, 2015-09-23 08:11.

I agree with the two types of vacation, although I do love one type more then the other. Also I feel the same way before getting away, where I will count down the hours till we leave. My one problem though is that I always over pack and I hate unpacking everything so I will have clothes in my suitcase for days maybe even weeks. The coming home is always the worst to any get away.

I like how instead of just

Submitted by Yegorpro on Tue, 2015-09-22 22:43.

I like how instead of just taking the 'generally accepted' definition you explained specifically what the word means to you and why/how through that it is your favorite word. Explaining specifically why the word makes you happy, and to what extent, gives a personal connection as well as providing a way for the reader to understand, in their own emotions, what the word feels like to you. One thing I would point out is in your introduction you say "Only because of the fact that just by the sound of it I think of..." yet later in the writing give other reasons why it is your favorite word, contradicting what you say in your introduction. This isn't a big issue but it can cause a bit of confusion. Sticking to the 'only reason' statement can limit the range of things you can write in support of it being word because it shifts the focus onto that one specific statement. I would suggest simply removing "Only because of the fact that by" because other than that small part I think your writing is great. (this is only my opinion and how I think it would sound better, I may just be reading it wrong)

Thank you for your input. I

Submitted by Heinemannm16 on Wed, 2015-09-23 08:15.

Thank you for your input. I may have written it weirdly I am not sure but I will look back at it and think about these types of things in my future writing. I do agree with my intro though. I need to work on those and that is something I wish to improve upon this semester. I am glad as well that you liked how I presented the word, I tried staying away from what other people did just for a little individuality.

I liked your essay,

Submitted by Mthomsen on Wed, 2015-12-16 20:32.

I liked your essay, especially how you pulled in the different languages. Your quote interesting, but the transition from the quote to "vaca" was a little abrupt.