My Favorite Word

by: dallthor

Dallin Thorpe
Expos
2nd

Favorite word: Oyasuminasai

My favorite word is one that many people here in Okemos do not know and it is one I just recently learned. It is oyasuminasai or goodnight in Japanese. Japanese is by far one of my favorite languages in the world, it is very poetic and they way the sentences flow with one another just makes it an extremely pretty language. Oyasuminasai (おやすみなさい)is one of my favorite words I have learned so far and it is pronounced O-ya-su-mi-na-sa-i. In Japan there are formal and informal ways of saying some words, for goodnight the informal way is just Oyasumi, so not only does this mean goodnight but it is also the very formal way of saying it. You would use this when speaking to those you respect or love very much. I like to consider myself a pretty loving person so I say goodnight to those that I talk to on a normal basis. However, I have gone with the shift in the world of being lazy and just saying “night”. But this is why Oyasuminasai is my favorite word. It not only is a way to show love and affection, but respect. Also I believe that the word goodnight has more meaning to it. To me it is almost like a promise that you will be there the next morning for the person you said goodnight to. So to me oyasuminasai is not just a way to say goodnight, but it is also a way to show your love and respect for another person you care about.

Image from http://thedeconstruction.org/words-friends/

I love how you talk about how

Submitted by kimberly16 on Tue, 2015-09-22 07:18.

I love how you talk about how lazy language has gotten where we abbreviate words like goodnight that have so much meaning. I never thought about why we say goodnight, like how you said we say goodnight to promise that you will be there when you wake up! I never thought about it that way and I totally agree.

Hi Dallin! I really like how

Submitted by Kelsey on Tue, 2015-09-22 13:22.

Hi Dallin! I really like how you chose a word not from our native language because I think sometimes we pay more attention to meaning when we don't use the word normally. For instance, when I learn new vocabulary in Spanish, the meanings are always important and I can see why the word means what it does from the way it's structured. In English, though, we kind of take what we're saying for granted sometimes and don't think about these words on a deeper level like you mentioned. I agree with Kimberly as well, I like how you said goodnight is a way of showing love and affection but also a promise.

Informative

Submitted by Cborgialli on Tue, 2015-09-22 20:29.

I found your writing very informative and interesting. The only language I speak besides English, is Spanish which sounds very different from Japanese. I the way the word is spelled. When i first look at it i have no idea how to pronounce it which allowed me to just see the word instead of reading it. I definitely agree with you on the topic that we have gotten lazy about saying goodnight and just texting someone 'night'. Therefore, I find it pretty meaningful when someone goes above and beyond that saying something like "I hope you have a good night" or "Sleep well". These phrases seem more equivalent to your favorite word because they show more meaning and respect.

Kon'nichiwa Dallin I really

Submitted by Hatch15 on Tue, 2015-09-22 21:46.

Kon'nichiwa Dallin I really like how you showed that your favorite word could be used to show love or respect towards some one you care for. I have also fallen into the habit of just saying night to even my parents and other family members. I might start telling them Oyasuminasai to show them more respect and cause it sounds pretty awesome. I also thought it was cool how you said a bit about the langue itself and not just focus solely on the word.