My Future

by: EBCHS04
             Something that I have been interested in learning more about is what colleges will be best for me and what can I do to get in easier. I remember my mother, auntie and teachers talking to me about ways that I can study better and get ready, during after school and my free time, but I was more focused on sports than academics. Lately, the issue of college has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that I could do better, and they believe that I'm wasting precious time. From what I have heard, it is complicated to get into college and hard as well. For example, I heard that you have to do a series of tests, such as the SAT to determine what four year college will be good for you or if you are eligible to get into one. Now that's just what I've heard, it may or may not be true.

One thing that I know for sure about getting into college is that it takes a lot of work and dedication. To get what you have to get done to succeed in getting into a good college, you have to study and continually practice. I've studied English, global, and science and it’s not easy work to learn if you don't study and focus on it continually. Personally, it's funny to me how everything I study is not what I'm going to need to help me with the major that I want to do in the future, but I need it to advance. In the future my major is music producing.
     When trying to get into the right college, you will need to have most of the basic subject down packed. One of the subjects that I like to focus on the most will have to be math because it’s easy when you follow it frequently and study, but it’s also easy to forget if you don’t pay attention to it for a while. Being that I didn't have a lot of background information on what are the key aspects to getting into a good college, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and news articles on Google, I came across this one article: “Are You Ready for College?http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/are-you-ready-for-college-alternatives-for-the-unsure.This article provided a lot of information and opinions on how students feel about colleges and what makes it hard.   

My classmates felt that my college research was helpful, as it spoke of how you can develop a plan to start the process of getting ready for college, such as when they said “Think about what you can do to gain some experience, to explore options for your future life, to get experience with managing your own time and money, and to get some direction.” When they said “If your parents have been planning for your admission to Harvard since the day you were born, you need to quiet their fears that you are throwing your life away if you put off going to school.” That wasn’t a surprise to me being that all parents have that on their mind when sending their children to school, so it make me feel confident to know that my parents have my back. I have a lot of confidence in what I do in school and away from school when I'm working at home.  

In another article, Colorín Colorado :: Getting Ready for College: What ELL Students Need to Know. http://www.colorincolorado.org/article/28377.This whole article had me interested from beginning to end. It mostly explains what a student can do to get a better understanding of what they can do to be properly ready for college, especially for ELL students. I think although it focuses on ELL students I can still get some positive insight and help from it. The quote “We have to tell students that they can achieve and they can overcome language barriers, and then help them start thinking about and preparing for college very early. Being hopeful and bringing a positive message goes a long way. The most important thing is to believe that students can achieve, and to reinforce what is possible instead of what isn't” by Dr. Frances Contreras. These are inspiring words that can give a student more courage to work harder in what they have to do to get into the best college for them.

After reading through the two articles, I now realize that it’s not all fun and games when it comes to getting yourself prepared for college. First it starts with having the motivation to want a bright future for yourself, then you need to know the right things there are to study for what major you want to take. Finally, you have to practice constantly and steadily on whatever you study to ensure that you have enough knowledge to complete everything that helps to enroll you into the right college.

Darius, Your insights into

CharlieTeachHayground's picture
Submitted by CharlieTeachHay... on Thu, 2010-10-07 06:49.

Darius,

Your insights into the challenges of getting a college education are great to read. You've really taken the time to think about your future.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is , "First it starts with having the motivation to want a bright future for yourself, then you need to know the right things there are to study for what major you want to take." I thought this was very thoughtful. Many people go to college not knowing what major they want. I know I didn't, or at least I pretended I was open to majors other than English.

Another sentence that stood out for me was "I know that many people feel that I could do better, and they believe that I'm waisting precious time." It's not easy to be critical of yourself in publish, and so I applaud your bravery. On the bright side, at least you are aware of how much people think of your abilities.

Thanks again for your post. I look forward to reading what you have to say next,

Charlie

Dear EB, I read you post

Submitted by CFlores on Fri, 2010-10-08 12:14.

Dear EB,

I read you post and I thought it was very meaningful and posted with a lot of effort in your part. I am also a Senior in my high school and so far, it has shown me that there are so many things that has to be done for college. I am nervous because I have so much on my side, but I cope with it a lot. Learning and doing extra curricular activities every week has consumed my life as a Senior. I stay literally, 4 hours a day doing homework. The sad part is that there aren't any AP classes in my school, so you can imagine how it would be like if I was taking AP classes. A book that I am reading in my English class is: Black Boy. There was this one quote in the book that even if I am struggling to keep up with my studies, I am glad that we live in a better America from before. The quote says: "Having grown taller and older, I now associated with older boys and I had to pay for my admittance into their company by subscribing to certain racial sentiments." This quote made me feel as though life before was very hard, in terms, of fitting in. In a more liberal America, specially in places such as New York; there are no cliques or people trying to fit in. In my school, people are more accepting of who you are and the way you think. I am glad we live in a better world, where it is not divided by the simply, race.

I appreciate you taking time

Submitted by EBCHS04 on Tue, 2010-10-12 23:41.

I appreciate you taking time to share you experience of how you felt, its good to know that its not wrong to feel this way.

Thank you, I do not think it

Submitted by CFlores on Sat, 2010-10-16 18:23.

Thank you, I do not think it is wrong to feel this way because it's a new experience, but eventually I am sure you will get used to it.

EB,  I really enjoyed

Submitted by G-asian on Sun, 2010-10-10 12:10.

EB,

I really enjoyed your article. It was something I could relate to because I just began my college application process. I have finished all my tests such as the ACT and SAT, finally, but there is still so much left for me to do. People keep asking the question "where do you want to go to college?" and frankly I don't know. I just want to pick the right college for me, but I don't know where that is yet. All I can say is that visiting colleges personally has helped a lot in my first step decisions to narrow down my list, so that is something you should consider if possible. I look forward to reading more of your articles on this subject.

Its a long process, but i

Submitted by EBCHS04 on Tue, 2010-10-12 23:43.

Its a long process, but i got faith ill get it done. Thanks for taking time to read my article.

EBCHS04, I feel the same

Submitted by G-mexican on Sun, 2010-10-10 16:30.

EBCHS04,

I feel the same way about college. Am i ready? will i be accepted? what will i end up doing? so many questions. I feel like colleges put too much pressure and weight on different areas like Test scores and essays and such. i understand their necessity but if colleges are looking for diversity i don't think the SAT can show that. Maybe your not the best writer, how do you get across that your intelligent and unique then? You provide a nice dialogue on the topic. I hope to see more discussions on this topic from you!

Gabby

Thank you Gabby. First I

Submitted by EBCHS04 on Tue, 2010-10-12 23:47.

Thank you Gabby. First I want to start off by thanking you, and continuing by saying that I wish you best. I think about this all the time, such as if I will be able to master my major that I want to go to school for, and I can only do my best.