My Life Changed by Invention

by: Baraa2016

When I was a little kid, we were not as advanced as today. What is considered old right now was the highest tech known back then. One example is the first desktop computer. As I moved the mouse with my hand, something maneuvered across the screen. I saw a button and I clicked on it. I clicked on what I later learned was a program on the computer. My parents showed me Microsoft Word, and as I press a key on the keyboard a letter showed up and it felt like magic. It was also a way to keep me entertained, thanks to JumpStart, which provided an efficient way for me to learn grammar, math and to have fun behind a screen. Those things are essential for any childhood, so benefits started flooding in. Another experience was when I saw the first screensaver. I was amazed and curious about what happened when you let a computer idle. I was pretty dazzled by the screensaver. But that was just the beginning.

In my later years, I have found that invention is not just an object, it is an idea, it is a way of life. I am aware that tech every year is improving and updating, like even when the first compact computer in the form of a cell phone was made. But obviously, tech is not the only invention. Cars, boats, and even the wheel are inventions. Cars may be tech, but the wheel, a simple creation, was one of the beginnings. Even the idea of civilization is an invention. And with invention always around, I feel civilized. Though I have considered I would go for a medical or architectural career, I used to dream about being an inventor in my childhood. People want attention. People want to be famous and/or to be known for something. I wanted to change the world by using the importance of invention. Whether I still have the dream or gave up on it, it will always be something I would remember.

Men like Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison felt like an inspiration. They were so influential that I one day felt that I wanted to follow in their footsteps. Their creations were so unique that it emphasizes the fact that it is all about imagination, and it is unlimited, so ideas are unlimited. If we are running out of ideas, then it means our imagination is aging. I personally feel that way. I went from my imaginative childhood to my over-thinking teen years. I now doubt imagination, and that is a major mistake. I need to convince myself that anything is possible and imagination has no limit, and that is the base of invention.

Invention always exists, since time began, but oncoming generations always leave past inventions behind, leaving them in the obsolete wasteland. This I started to know during my later childhood. But as one would expect, I would not know what invention even is at a young age. However, I caught on the idea before I learned the meaning of the word, and that is when it changed my life. Since I felt like I was always familiar with cars, I felt the first unique invention I saw was the computer. I had no idea what this piece of strange equipment was, or what it did, but when I found out, everything changed from that point. My life changed. Without it, my life would be uncivilized, primitive, and inefficient. Without telephones, I cannot communicate with others far away. Without the Internet, knowledge would be slow and hard to look for. Without even wheels, we would not get far. All of these are examples, for why I believe that the importance of invention is that it changes people’s way of life.

Relatable

Submitted by 18dalyj on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:52.

I really like this article because for me its relateable when i was growing up the things that we have now are 5x as advanced as they were back them. like 3d handheld consoles compared to the slowest laptop ever made. I also agree invention will always exist ads were as people are learning more about evolution and how the human brain works we will learn how to build new inventions and how we can improve our daily lives and maybe make a flying car or make ones that dont pollute and such. So i really agree with what your saying here. Great post!

Impressed that you can relate

Submitted by Baraa2016 on Fri, 2015-05-01 13:07.

It's great that there are people I can relate to. And yes, I wished that pollution free cars would be created as well. Cars are efficient but sadly ruin the environment. But it is amazing how invention progresses that fast, isn't it?

I Agree!

18cheunga's picture
Submitted by 18cheunga on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:54.

Dear Baraa2016:

I am fascinated by your post, "My Life Changed by Invention," because I can relate about inventions. I know that everything people take for granted today were not even part of someone's life in the past. It is intriguing to me that people even survived without technology and inventions like the car and cellphone.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Invention always exists, since time began, but oncoming generations always leave past inventions behind, leaving them in the obsolete wasteland." I think this is true because whenever there are new inventions, old ones tend to become...old. Less people use it and the newer ones are more popular.

Another sentence that I liked was: "All of these are examples, for why I believe that the importance of invention is that it changes people’s way of life." This stood out for me because I think invention is also really important. My life was changed personally because of these new technologies and without them, my life would have been very different.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, my computer broke and without it, I was very clueless. I had to think of new ways to get information. I think without computers, I probably would've done my schoolwork badly or differently. xD

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I will probably read it, respond again, and relate. I like that your post applies to everyone today and I can put my experience with it.

Glad you're fascinated

Submitted by Baraa2016 on Thu, 2015-05-07 13:03.

It's great to hear that parts of my essay really stood out to you. Yes, it is true that invention is one of the most dynamic things in life, new ideas are just constantly created. Your computer broke for unknown reasons too? I guess I'm not alone after all... I'm so sorry, and I also felt like it was more difficult to carry on without it.

invention is the strength of

Submitted by Whalebite on Wed, 2015-04-01 15:25.

invention is the strength of humanity.
inventions are built on other inventions, the obsolete "graveyard" as you put it is not completely true, parts of these "obsolete" inventions are found in new inventions, much as our DNA contains codes from long extinct ancestors. We needed to under stand electricity to make light bulbs and circuits, we needed both to make the first computer, these were refined until it could be stuck in a smaller volume, allowing laptops, and then tablets to be made. Tablets and laptops needed the telegram, telephone, and cell phone before they could connect to a wider world.

another thing is practicality, inventions that are not useful in certain areas are not known, a town in the Himalayas for example has no use for a car, but they use airplanes. in a village in Africa, a solar panel is more useful than a refinery.

Clarification

Submitted by Baraa2016 on Thu, 2015-04-30 10:01.

When I mentioned the "obsolete wasteland," I didn't mean inventors threw away the ideas as wholes and have been completely forgotten by people. I meant that we usually tend to take older technology for granted and some may not realized that there isn't much change between an original and a new version. An old desktop and a laptop argues against this, but once a laptop is created, there isn't much originality after that. Does that make more sense?

I Somewhat Disagree

18keegane's picture
Submitted by 18keegane on Wed, 2015-04-01 21:09.

I agree greatly with your ideas. I do think that it's sad that due to inventions we take little things for granted, such as a wheel. Although, this is why we always need new and imaginative people to make more things. The fame and thankfulness might directly only last a short period of time, but it will be known as a basis for new and more extensive technology. There is no repayment for that. So keep your dream of inventing! It will be needed in the future. Innovation is only based off of the past so inventions wont become inanimate, but they will blossom and flourish beyond your wildest dreams!

I am aware of your point

Submitted by Baraa2016 on Fri, 2015-05-01 13:15.

Yes, we always will need updates on what man creates, and that aging creations will be less capable, but some people judge others based on how old or new something is. Many things (mainly technology) don't really change much from the previous version when they are released as a newer version. Mobile phones and consoles are two of the most common examples I am talking about. For example, I had a classmate that called himself a nerd just because he still plays on GameCube. Finally, I appreciate your motivation to keep my past dream, I really do. Thank you very much.