Christin

by: LightCYC

My precious last and middle name means a lot of things. From the roots of Korea, it means nothing but to be one family. It means to be strong and not let anything become your fear. Take a stand and show who’s the boss. For Chung that is. Yet for Ye-Won, it means hope , joy, justice. Giving these things for those who originally needs it.

Coming from Korea, the last name Chung (Chogye- Chung) was and still is one of the smallest yet precious tribe names. The founder of the tribe was a political official, who’s 3rd generation broke the tribe into 3 branches. Through generations, although some were fortunate, many suffered along with others from many invasions during the time of wars. My grandmother, who was from the branch of the 3rd son, suffered through the Japan invasion and Korean war. Tears, pain, and loss of love ones is what most of the tribes experienced. Yet for my tribe, we were and still are the smallest and most isolated tribe compared to other distinct ones. We, the Chungs are small. Yet, it doesn’t mean we can’t be big. We are big. In the heart. We may act…strange, but we can identify someone quickly. Accepting them as well.

The same with my middle name, yet with a different meaning. My middle name was created from Chinese characters, since Koreans uses it as well. The “Won” from my middle name “Ye-Won” means “the original”. I was the first child that my mom had. At first, my parents wanted to use the character that means “the first one” but because it seemed too broad, they ended up using the one I am using. Yet the “Ye” still remains a mystery. In my opinion, I think “Ye” means hope and justice, since I tend to like those two things. And when you added it with the last character, it would probably mean “hope / just original” (literally) or in the right way “the original hope and justice”.

These two names will remain precious to me forever. I went through so much with these two names, I’m willing to let this go. These two names will always be name, without doubt.

Great!

Submitted by Sami2016 on Sun, 2014-10-05 12:46.

I really enjoyed this. Have you ever not liked your name?

Amazed

cceballos's picture
Submitted by cceballos on Wed, 2014-10-08 09:15.

Dear Christin,

I am amazed by your post "Christin," because you are talking about how you like your name and what your name means in other languages .Also how it was that you got your names.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Coming from Korea, the last name Chung (Chogye- Chung) was and still is one of the smallest yet precious tribe names. The founder of the tribe was a political official, who’s 3rd generation broke the tribe into 3 branches." I think this is amazing because if i had a name that was it that popular i will love my name because not that many people will have it and that will make your name special.

Another sentence that I liked was: "The same with my middle name, yet with a different meaning. My middle name was created from Chinese characters, since Koreans uses it as well.." This stood out for me because you said that you got your name from a chinese characters and i want to know more

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time that i had two write a prose poem about my name and what my name means and i found out my name means a lot of thing and it a very popular in Egypt.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i hope to see what you write next because i really liked this post.

Dear Christin, iam very

Submitted by spineda on Thu, 2014-10-09 13:39.

Dear Christin,

iam very impressed with what i read in your work. i felt like you expressed your name in a very good way and gave lots of information.

one sentence that stood out for me was " From the roots of Korea, it means nothing but to be one family." i like that you know where your name came from and that your studying the true meaning behind your name.

another sentence that stands out for me is "The same with my middle name, yet with a different meaning" i like how your really looking into the history of not only your first name but your middle as well.

thanks for your writing! i cant wait to read more of your future passages!