My Name: A good fit

by: spineda

My name is Shakira, like the famous Colombian singer. I don’t sing or dance, but I like to see and listen to both. A beautiful soul, who’s so humble and smart.

My grandma named me and I wear the name proudly. I like when people start to say “Shakira the singer?” Because they begin to start dancing and singing, and that puts me in a great mood.

My grandma was the best, although she isn’t here anymore, physically. But spiritually, I continue to carry on the best name she gave me. She did so much for me and our family that I don’t know how and what I could’ve done to repay her. Now that she’s gone, it makes it even harder, but I know she would have wanted me to keep my head up and be strong, just how she did when she battled the toughest things in life.

I fit my name in so many ways. I had the curliest hair when i was born , the most greenest eyes , the softest pale skin and the most reddest, squeezable cheeks of all baby time. I was also very loud and sang a lot when I was much younger and danced horribly a lot. I now see why my grandma named me Shakira!

I get a great feeling when everyone seems to know and remember my name. I mean c’mon, I’m named after an international superstar. It does get annoying sometimes, when the singing and mocking from others does not stop. But it’s all okay because as long as I like my name, I have no problem.

Strong Feelings

RMorales's picture
Submitted by RMorales on Wed, 2014-10-08 10:50.

Dear Shakira:

I am happy about your post, "My name:A good fit," because talks about your life and its interesting when hearing about other person's life I really liked how you were talking about your grandma being the best and also that she was the one that put your name Shakira.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "My grandma was the best, although she isn’t here anymore" I think this is very sad because in every paragraph I read you talked about your grandma and that means that she was the best and now that she's gone is a very sad thing to hear bout you got to keep going life is like that.

Another sentence that I felt bad for was: "She did so much for me and our family that I don’t know how and what I could’ve done to repay her. Now that she’s gone, it makes it even harder, but I know she would have wanted me to keep my head up and be strong, just how she did when she battled the toughest things in life." This stood out for me because it another sad thing to hear all this time after she's done a lot for you now look she's gone i'm so sorry.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time my grandma was sitting down then she got really sick, I thought something bad was going to happen to her and yes it happened.She didn't die nothing like that bout to be taken to the hospital and we waited so long and when it was over she came out okay.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, i really like your poem about your life and your name and about your grandma and I'm sorry to hear this.

Name that fits

cceballos's picture
Submitted by cceballos on Sat, 2014-10-11 14:52.

Dear Shakira:

I am amazed by your post, "my name:A good fit," because you are talking about how you like your name and what your name means in author langeness.Also how it was that you got your names.also how the name shakira is a famous Colombian singer name.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I fit my name in so many ways. I had the curliest hair when i was born , the most greenest eyes , the softest pale skin and the most reddest, squeezable cheeks of all baby time. I was also very loud and sang a lot when I was much younger and danced horribly a lot. I now see why my grandma named me Shakira." I think this is great because you are talking about some of the reason that your name fit you.

Another sentence that I liked was: "My grandma named me and I wear the name proudly. I like when people start to say “Shakira the singer?” Because they begin to start dancing and singing, and that puts me in a great mood." This stood out for me because you talking about how your grandma put you this name also how you are proudly to have your name.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time that i had two write a prose poem about my name and what my name means and i found out my name means a lot One time that i had two write a prose poem about my name and what my name means and i found out my name means a lot of thing and it a very popular in egypt .

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i liked what you wrote this time.

Great Essay!

Submitted by SarahEFarrell on Mon, 2015-12-14 17:15.

I think the way you feel about your name is really awesome, I personally love Shakira. I think in the paragraph when you talk about your grandmother, you should bring up some specific examples of the things she did. Doing this will really help your audience connect to both you and your grandma. My main critique on this essay would be to add more details. Specific details really helps to intrigue readers and keeps them connected to the story. I think this is a really great essay and I love your name!

I love Shakira! You seem so

Submitted by slweyrich on Tue, 2015-12-15 14:05.

I love Shakira! You seem so proud of who you are and who you have become; I really admire that. You should consider giving more examples on things, like stuff about your grandmother. I think this will especially help people understand you and the people you care about even more than what you explained. I honestly loved this whole essay, but I think the main critique I have is I want to know more details. I think it would just bring even more to the essay than there already is. Overall, great essay, it really shows how you embrace who you are!