My Thoughts on The new York Times article about Trayvon Martin.

by: krystalm

I really admired the written article about the young and the innocent Trayvon Martin, from the New York Times “On Trayvon Martin: A Guest Post From a Teenager, and Some Teaching Suggestions By Anthony Turner because one part of this article that caught my interest was:

This brings up a lot of questions: When does an innocent high school student become “intimidating,” “threatening” or “suspicious”? How intimidating can someone be with a few munchies in their hand, just walking down the street? If you’re a black kid with a hoodie, is it immediately assumed that you’re “bad” or a “troublemaker”?Would things have been different if Martin was a white kid strolling down the street or if he had been dressed differently?”

This even made me think about my nephews that are growing up now, and will be Trayvon age once upon a time and should they have to worry about walking to or from the store with what ever it is they bought in the rain, cautious about whether or not Zimmerman himself or anyone else will follow them when told not to by the police, and shot and kill them over pre-judging someone.

I’m learning more about the Trayvon case now, and in particular what I’m wondering about is why isn’t Zimmerman locked up, at least incarcerated for questioning about a question of my own, why did he continue to follow Trayvon, in regards to being told not to over the phone with the police officer?

Also This question from the article stating If you’re a black kid with a hoodie, is it immediately assumed that you’re “bad” or a “troublemaker”? I researched this question online and this Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent - Anthony article caught my attention because in the very beginning of the article it asks “You would never think a walk to the store would get you killed, right? “ and that touched me so very much and it made my mind elaborate more on my own question and the question I’ve read from the New York Times article. This Specific article sparked my interest and caught my eye by the first few lines expressing that this young boy is he only 17, still reading down the lines he was shot and killed, and was only carting an iced tea and some skittles.

“Part of the problem is that the media — including some black celebrities — depict black males as dangerous”

The quote I chose here is basically saying that most celebrities portray young black males to be so much more involved in negative activities which gives others that much more suspicion on young black males. I think this is a very intense quote because not only do it have me wondering about the young males in my family yet to grow up to this madness of being aware when walking to the store and back home with just a late night munchie but many others. The more things like this happens this question will always be in the air “If you’re a black kid with a hoodie, is it immediately assumed that you’re “bad” or a “troublemaker” ?

and the answer to this will never be found. Another sentence that stood out for me was “Even if you are feeling threatened, it seems ridiculous to follow the person who is scaring you, which is what Zimmerman did” this is exactly what I’ve been trying to figure out as well, it makes no sense to follow someone who you say is a threat to you, and with you being scared still go after him, meanwhile he was completely harmless with no weapon.

A third sentence that I choose to admire was “As a young black male myself, I sometimes get the sense that other people judge me on my appearance”. This stood out for me because it gives off the sense of being pre-judged, unfair, and just not right what so ever for people to do that, but still it’s always done. I do strongly agree with this quote by Anthony Turner, one reason I say this is because his words of sorrow for the issue, the questions he out out there that not only him but me and many others may think of from time to time too. He wrote this article going into the issue straight on about Trayvon being killed for simply being mistaken and pre-judged.