National Yoga Competitions A Reality?

When you first here the word yoga a soothing feeling may rush over you. You may think of an activity where there's no competition it's just you in the moment releasing your stress. Well, think again.

I recently was on Google News looking for an article to write about on here when I stumbled upon the weirdest article title. It was "Competitive Yoga? It’s a Sport, but Still" written by The New York Times. I found it credible and so I clicked the link. What I discovered was something very interesting.

I never knew there were yoga championships but I quickly learned that New York would be hosting the National Yoga Asana Championship on Friday. And it wasn't as if this was a new competition; it is going to be the ninth competition.

The process:
"Before a panel of five judges, participants will have three minutes to perform seven postures, five required and two of their choice. In the youth division, participants ages 11 to 17 will perform six postures total. The top two finishers in each group — men, women and youth — will proceed to compete in the Bishnu Charan Ghosh Cup, the international championship held in Los Angeles in June."

The fact that there are different divisions astounds me. They have enough competitors for there to be a men, women, and youth division is crazy. I could never picture there being a yoga competition let alone that many people participating.

Do you think that having yoga competitions is good for yoga or if it is ruining its serenity and peacefulness?

Read more at: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/02/sports/new-york-welcomes-yoga-asana-ch...