New Photos of the Titanic Revealed

One hundred years after the sinking of the Titanic, technology is allowing us to get up close and personal with the wreckage that lives at the bottom of the ocean. On April 15, 1912 at 2:20am, the "unsinkable" Titanic sank beneath the ocean. 1500 lives were lost that day. The wreck was first discovered in 1985 by explorers Robert Ballard and Jean-Louis Michel. Since then, pictures have frequently been taken of the famous Titanic. However, robots were recently sent down to capture the most vivid and descriptive snapshots yet.

"Captured by three state-of-the-art robotic vehicles that flew at various altitudes above the abyssal plain in long, preprogrammed swaths. Bristling with side-scan and multibeam sonar as well as high-definition optical cameras snapping hundreds of images a second, the robots systematically “mowed the lawn,” as the technique is called, working back and forth across a three-by-five-mile target area of the ocean floor. These ribbons of data have now been digitally stitched together to assemble a massive high-definition picture in which everything has been precisely gridded and geo-referenced."

The site can now be measured and scientists will be able to study the wreckage. Even though the sinking of the Titanic happened long ago, people are still fascinated by the story and the heroic deeds many of the passengers did that day to help save the lives of others.