The New Serenity

by: marser

Orison Swett Marden once said, “Don’t wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Weak men wait for opportunities; strong men make them.” This quote means to me that you shouldn’t have to wait for somebody to bribe you or you shouldn’t wait for a great opportunity to do something that should have already been done. I would apply this quote to my own life by saying, I should have not wasted my middle school days by fooling around and thinking less about my education and more about the streets. I would not go straight home, I would go to bed really late and fall asleep in class. While in middle school, I thought why should I work hard right now, I would wait until December to get my act together and then I would start focusing on school. It was not the best thing to do, because now I am struggling on doing the basic high school stuff now.

Now during high school, in some ways I have achieved my expectations for myself. I have became less boy crazy, more focused and now have been able to learn how to balance my outside life with school life. Another success I have achieved is being able to not let the little things get to me, and distract me from my education. I am happy with, being able to wake up and have an excitement to attend school and be a dream chaser. I actually am setting even more goals, because I don’t want to be 16 and pregnant, or 16 with no part/full time job. I want to be 18 and graduation. I am also satisfied with the face that I have become a better role-model for my younger friends and siblings. The only thing that I am not satisfied with is the fact that I have to learn not to live by the moment but by the future.

Some ways I hope to meet my spring cleaning plans are the following:
cut back on Facebook usage.
stay home more on the weekends.
cut back on playing around in class.
and start sitting in the front of the classroom.
say a prayer, asking to have a good day.
staying after school for extra help
start asking for a better understanding if I don't understand.

While typing this post I learned that I need to balance my outside life with my school life better. I am halfway through my high-school year, I need to start taking action now. Based on the quote, I learned I shouldn’t have to wait for other people to make a change or to tell me I need to change. I should not let anything hold me back, knowing that I am strong; I can make a change on my own and on my own time. I do love the fact that I have a supporting family and a good amount of supporting friends. But at the end of the day, the choices I make affects how I will live in the future. So I advise anyone who wants to have a good future, take notes on the good and bad that you are doing, and make a change. It is never too late!!!