NFL and Head Trauma

New data from the United States' largest repository of brain samples has shown that a very large amount of NFL players who submitted their brains for testing after their death suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). The Department of Veterans Affairs' brain repository, based in Massachusetts, found that 76 of the 79 players had evidence of the condition, which can is caused by repeated head trauma. This was a part of a larger study which involved 128 deceased football players, and they found that even players who played at lower levels had high rates of CTE. A whopping 101 of the 128 players tested positive for the brain disease. The disease can cause depression, fits of rage, confusion, memory loss, and dementia later in life. The longer you play football, and the higher level at which you play, increases your risk of CTE. Advances in medical science have allowed doctors to be able to detect CTE while the person is still alive. This is a serious issue that has caused NFL players to have major behavioral changes resulting in violence and ended careers.

nice running bro looking like

Submitted by dblackmon on Wed, 2014-10-01 15:29.

nice running bro looking like me out there here at oakland high someone had a head injury also playing football there very common to get now days @natehigley

its a serious injury.

Submitted by qorta on Wed, 2014-10-01 15:26.

its a serious injury.

its a serious injury.

its a serious injury.

its a serious injury.

its a serious injury.

NFL and Head Trauma

Submitted by jwinston on Wed, 2014-10-01 15:26.

Thanks for the information on head injuries.I play football so I want to be safe and know what goes on.And also it is a very serious issue that has ended lot of football careers. @NateHigley

How to stop football injuries

18rahmani's picture
Submitted by 18rahmani on Wed, 2014-10-01 22:29.

I believe that football injuries are a big part of todays societies because a lot of people nowadays play football. Kids form the age of 5 play football and there are a lot of people (high school students) who play tackle football. Even though it isn't that big of a issue compared to the injury that is happening in the NFL it is still important to take it into consideration about whats happening. It is important because there are a lot of high school students how are getting injured while playing football because of all the aggressive tackling.
A way that can protect anyone who plays sports that causes brain problems is to put a lot more protective gear on the kids who play this sport. Instead of having just a helmet more cushioning should be put into the helmet. Also, there should a medical advisor that checks someone who is hurt and they do not let him/her back into the game. If they take these precautions it would be good for everyone and less people would have problems in the future.