Trust and Fear

Elie, the protagonist in Night , has a few traits that influence his relationships with others.

One, he doesn't trust people. Two, he is worried. Three, he is scared.

These traits influence his relationships with others. “Crammed into cattle cars by the Hungarian police, they cried silently. Standing on the station platform, we too were crying. The train disappeared over the horizon; all that was left was thick, dirty smoke. Behind me, someone said, sighing, ‘what do you expect? That’s war…..’ .” Being worried and scared comes into play here when Elie started to cry because of the mess since he was scared.

Later, on page 7, Moishe interacts with Elie, basically telling him: “Jews , listen to me! That’s all I ask of you. No money. No pity. Just listen to me!’ He kept shouting in synagogue, between the prayer at dusk and the evening prayer. Even I did not believe him. I often sat with him, after services, and listen to his tales, trying to understand his grief. But all I felt was pity.”

Elie’s response here makes a reader begin to feel untrusting, and specificaly sparks a feeling of not trusting Moishe .