Elie’s father was his main motivation to survive

How do you think Elie Wiesel was able to survive? The book Night by Elie Wiesel took place in German in the early 1940's and was about a family being tricked by the Nazis to thinking they were going to keep them safe but took them to concentration camps and separated them. This book is important because at this time they were going through the Holocaust. Though some may argue that Elie’s father wasn’t his main motivation, Elie’s father was his main motivation to survive the concentration camps because he and his father were like best friends and was always with each other and never left each others side.

Elie’s main motivation was his father. Some may argue that he wasn’t. However, he looked up to his father to be strong and never show weakness. In the middle of the book, Elie and his father met at the block and his father handed Elie his knife and spoon and told him to take care of it and to never sell it because he thought he was going to die. “‘Don’t talk like that father.’(I felt that i would break into sobs.)’I don’t want you to say that…’” (Wiesel,81). This moment in Night connects with a time where I was at the hospital with my friend because her grandpa was sick. He was telling us it’s his time to go and she would tell him not to say that but he knew his time was coming. The fact that Elie didn’t want to take what his father was trying to give him cause he knew something bad was going to happen to him shows that Elie was trying to be positive and didn’t want his father talking about dying. That is exactly what my friend was telling her grandpa, to not speak so negatively about themselves because everything will be alright.

Elie doesn’t want to give up on his father. Some may argue that Elie was his own motivation because he pushed himself to get where he is now. However, without thinking about his father, he would’ve given up on himself. Towards the end of the book when they were in the shed, Elie was telling God not to give up on him and to keep his father alive because his father is really weak. “My God, Lord of the Universe, give me strength never to do what Rabbi Eliahou’s son has done.” (Wiesel,97) This moment in Night reminds me of a time where I was with my friend at the hospital because her grandpa was in a coma and didn’t wake up. The doctors said it was time to pull the plug and everyone gathered around his bedside and cried. They sat there with him and prayed and they didn’t want him to go but it was time and they had to go with it. The fact that Elie prayed to God about keeping his father still alive shows that Elie didn’t want to give up on him. He wanted his father to be with him until the end. Same goes for my friend and her family. Her grandpa was really ill and it was time to let him go, but it’s hard letting go of a loved one.

Even if Elie is in pain, he’s still going to keep on going. Some may argue that Elie is his own motivation when he decides to continue on with an injured foot. However, Elie went on with an injured foot to look for his father. In the middle of the book, Elie leaves the hospital without being told to with a swollen foot to find his father because everyone is suppose to be evacuating the camp because the SS officers found out the prisoners were going to get rescued. “‘As for me, I was not thinking about death, but I did not want to be separated from my father. We had already suffered so much, borne so much together; this was not the time to be separated.’” (Wiesel,88) This moment makes me think about a time when i was little and my mom had to go to work early in the morning so she had to drop me off at my grandma’s house and I cried and opened the door and ran to her because I didn’t want her to leave me. The fact that Elie left the hospital with a swollen even when he wasn’t suppose to shows that he didn’t want to be away from his father. You don’t ever want to be away from someone who you are so close to and are usually with everyday.

Though some may argue that Elie’s father wasn’t his main motivation, Elie’s father was his main motivation to survive being in the concentration camps and going through so much torturing by the SS officers. When you do something or when something is happening, in the back of your mind, you should always think about someone special you are doing it for and that God is watching over you.