Nike MAG Shoes

by: phickman3

The Nike MAG

Cabino has started an online petition asking Nike to produce the futuristic moon-boot shoes worn by Michael J. Fox's Marty McFly character in the movie Back to the Future Part II.
Apparently he's not alone. The petition has garnered 3,700 signatures since he posted it on his Operation McFly blog (operationmcfly.blogspot.com) in November, including those of such celebrity sneaker enthusiasts as Kanye West protege Lupe Fiasco, former Nicole Richie arm candy DJ AM, and Bill McMullen (a.k.a. Billions McMillions), former design director for record label Def Jam. With signatures from more than 30 countries, "the world's first and only international sneaker petition" has attracted the attention of media and the blogosphere.
- January 2006 , from thestar.com

Who says spending your hard-earned money on sneakers is a bad thing? Definitely not the good folks over at the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research. They recently teamed up with Nike for one of the biggest sneaker drops in recent memory. The Nike MAG was released for sale on September 8th exclusively through auction. During that ten-day auction period Nike sold 1,500 pair of the shoes totalling $5,695,190.53.

As if 5.6 million isn’t staggering enough, Sergey Bin, Co-Founder of Google promised to match the sales. That contribution brings the grand total to $11,390,381.10. Props to everyone who took part in this great accomplishment. Beyond impressive sales, the Nike MAG not only proves that our culture will purchase shoes, but we will donate our earners for a greater purpose. Now, sneakerheads just have to wait for the official 2015 retail release.

-September 2011, from stupiddope.com

The google timeline allowed me to see just how long some things take to develop. The idea to make the Nike MAG shoes started as a petition in 2006. This past month was the first time they were sold, but only 1500 were made, and now we have to wait until 2015 for them to be available to all of us. The timeline showed a spike in interest in the early 90s, when the shoes were only known because of the movie, and then showed nothing until about 2006 when the petition started. Then there was another 5 year gap until the past few months when everyone started finding out about the official release. Now I guess we’ll have to wait another 4 years for more.

Here are the shoes:

Cool shoes

Submitted by zeegeewee on Mon, 2011-09-26 19:16.

Dear phickman3:

I liked your post, "The Nike MAG", because it was informative and interesting. It is clear you did your research on the topic and you obvoiusly learned how to use a new online tool. I have never heard of these shoes before and it was interesting to me to hear about products for charity. One sentence that stood out for me was "the google timeline allowed me to see just how long some things take to develop." This stood out because I didn't know about google timeline and it seems like a useful and valid research tool. You post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I bought a cool pair of shoes. I also bought some TOMS once which are shoes that also donate to charity. Thank you for your writing. I will keep reading your post because I might learn more about cool shoes.

Back to the Future

Submitted by jbrimley3 on Wed, 2011-11-02 19:33.

Dear Patrick:

I thoroughly enjoyed your essay, “Nike MAG Shoes,” because I have seen the movie numerous times and have over the years, fallen in love with these shoes. I watched the Letterman show, I believe it was, and saw a young go-getter named Kid Cudi with these limited edition shoes, and I wondered where I could get a pair.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “The petition has garnered 3,700 signatures since he posted it on his Operation McFly blog (operationmcfly.blogspot.com) in November, including those of such celebrity sneaker enthusiasts as Kanye West protege Lupe Fiasco, former Nicole Richie arm candy DJ AM, and Bill McMullen (a.k.a. Billions McMillions), former design director for record label Def Jam. I think this is intriguing because it seems like most these celebrities are people with relation to the “rap game.” It made me wonder if I, a white American male, would be able to “rock” a pair of “kicks” as “fly” as these.

Another sentence that stood out was “ Now I guess we’ll have to wait another 4 years for more.” This stood out for me because it deeply angered me. What do you mean you “guess” we will have to wait for four more years? Is some magical fairy going to bring them to earth sooner? If your going to make a statement, be sure you know exactly what your talking about. You saying that you guess we will have to wait makes your entire article seem like it has no facts, and that you just made everything up without any research.

Your essay reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, I was shopping for shoes and I walked into a footlocker. The clerk asked if there was any shoes I wanted to try on, so I said yes and pointed to a pair. He then brought out the shoes in the specified size, but they ended up being to small. It’s a very funny story, and is true as well.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I think deep down you’re a good guy. I think your really smart, and have the looks to match. I was hoping that you might take me to dinner sometime? Just comment me back and we will set something up (: Love you lots and I can’t wait for your response.