No Snow for 2010 Winter Olympics

by: kberg

This year the 2010 Winter Olympics will be held in Vancouver, Canada where usually there are mild winters, but this year this especially warm weather is causing many problems.  The extreme shortage in snow is causing the most heartache on Cypress Mountain where six snowboarding and skiing events will take place.  The weather forecast is not looking good as it looks like there will be no new snow before the start of the Olympics on February 12th.  The Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee (known as VANOC) is already moving on to Plan B in order to bring the snow to Vancouver.  While the weather is too warm in Vancouver to make enough snow that is needed, officials say that isn't a problem because they are going to truck it in from other higher elevations.

“This is a normal course of action in temperate conditions, and we have all the technology, equipment, people and expertise to deliver the Games,” Cathy Priestner Allinger, the group’s executive vice president for sport and games operations, said in an e-mail message.  New York Times

One concern is how will this lack of snow affect the athletes competing.  In an effort to make up for the lack of snow, VANOC is forced to use straw and wood to form basis and shaping for different courses. 

"If they don't have the material, they can't build the features [jumps] as big or as radical as maybe they had originally planned," said Judge. "That may have some effect in terms of dumbing the course down a little bit." CBC News

Despite the challenges the athletes and other members must face this year, the tradition and legacy of the Olympics will continue.

Dear Kiersten, This was

Submitted by Oliver.Diamond on Mon, 2010-02-01 19:18.

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Dear Kiersten,

This was a very good post because I really didn’t know that this would be a problem for a host, such as Canada, to host the Winter Olympics hahaha. But I have heard from some people who have even been skiing up in Salt Lake that the snow is not that deep in some areas and that they use fake snow.

But like what the Judge said on CBC News "If they don't have the material, they can't build the features [jumps] as big or as radical as maybe they had originally planned, that may have some effect in terms of dumbing the course down a little bit" any Olympic games, they will pull through to make it very entertaining, even if they don’t have enough snow for the winter games.

Great post!

Sincerely,

Oliver Diamond