NORMAL?

by: valang
Ali by Hanna Lee` a Youth Voices pool photographer on Flickr.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6S0YfpgKD98/TwCYlDnggpI/AAAAAAAAGXk/1Ajl3mUSaDA/s1600/

Something that I have been interested in learning more about is the definition of the word normal. I remember my friends and I talking about it in school one day, but I didn’t learn much about it because it was a conversation between my friends and I, and it really is a hard question to answer. Lately, the issue has caught my eye again. I know that many people feel that being normal is a very big issue around the world, and that often time cause depression. From what I have heard, teenagers get depressed mostly because of they are insecure of who they are, and if they are normal. For example, I heard that a young girl was very insecure about how she looked, and she started getting plastic surgery. That was not enough for her her she also thought she has over weight being around 150 pound, so she started starving her self and taking weight loss pills to the point that one morning her parents found her dead in her room, and the cause of death was pill overdose.

One thing that I know for sure about teenagers feeling normal is that it’s created by insecurity. Now, I’ve studied my share of music and fashion , and it usually helps teenagers feel much better about themselves. I believe that looking like every one else does help them feel better because it’s something that they can do to feel normal or even included. Personally, it’s funny to me how some people isn’t satisfied with who they are, and have to look like everyone else to feel happy.

Normality has and will always be an issue in the world. The word Normal is completely overrated because everyone has different ways to define normal what is normal to them.

Being that I didn’t have a lot of background information on normality issues, I chose to do some research on the topic. As I searched for blogs and new articles on Google, I came across this one article: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=normal

This article provided a lot of information and opinions on the definition of normal. some people fell like being normal means being like every body else. A quote from the article is as follows: “A word made up by this corrupt society so they could single out and attack those who are different.” This statement didn't really surprise me much at all, but it did make me feel bad. Many teenagers live a good life and always complain, while others go through a variety of struggles and never say a word about it. always complain about what they don’t have instead of being happy and appreciating what they do have because like my mother always tells me “there is someone out there that has it worst than you so be grateful.”

In another article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_(behavior) there was this one statement that made me nod my head in agreement with the writer. It was: “Behaviour can be normal for an individual (intrapersonal normality) when it is consistent with the most common behaviour for that person” This is so true because what may be normal to you is not normal to me. The definition of normal is different for everybody, and you should define normal as what you do or how you look most time. You should never
use someone else's definition of normal as your own.

All of this makes me think that the word normal is different for everyone . A lot of teenagers might have a minor insecurity because of how we define normal, but probably never know it.I truly believe that everyone all around the world should believe and and make sure that they know who they are and aren’t afraid to show it. If individuals know who they are and stand for something they can’t fall for anything else, and they’ll stay true to themselves and their definition of NORMAL.

Best thing ever!!

Submitted by dianai on Fri, 2012-03-30 13:10.

I really enjoyed your post Normal. And this is not even an exaggeration. It was really good. I like how you wrote an example of a girl who was trying to fit into society new example of Normal. It was also awesome how you stated the after affect of the girl starving herself. But the situation is not awesome at all. A statement I thought was interesting was “The definition of normal is different for everybody, and you should define normal as what you do or how you look most time. You should never
use someone else's definition of normal as your own.” I can Totally agree with that statement. Everyone does have their own definition of normal.

Another statement I like was “ I truly believe that everyone all around the world should believe and and make sure that they know who they are and aren’t afraid to show it.”I thought that was really interesting. I reminded me of the by LMFOA - I am sexy and I know it.

I really enjoy your post. Thank you for your post.

This is a must read! Great job!

harniy's picture
Submitted by harniy on Sun, 2012-04-01 13:54.

Dear Angelica,

I really enjoyed reading your post. Your post,”NORMAL?”,highlighted an issue that many teens and even some adults go through everyday. I believe that the term,”normal”, can never really be defined because, everybody is normal in their own way. One sentence you wrote that stood out for me was,”You should never use someone else’s definition of normal as your own.” This sentence stood out for me, because I believe that this is entirely true. People are normal in their own ways and should never try to mimic others. Being your own kind of normal is the best kind of normal a person can possibly be. Even if you feel that it’s strange in some peoples’ eyes, you should disregard this, because they may not necessarily be normal.

Another sentence that stood out for me was,”One thing that I know for sure about teenagers feeling normal is that it’s created by insecurity.” This is a statement that I really agree with. If a teen feels that he or she is not normal, they may begin to feel insecure, and try to fit it with the crowd. I don’t believe that this is the answer because trying to be someone that you’re not isn't helping either. I just think that nothing is completely normal, and everything, and everyone is strange in their own way.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was sitting in class and I was having a an argument with one of my peers. Suddenly she said,”You’re a weirdo!” I know this isn't a major deal, but it got to me. The rest of the day I pondered on whether or not I was even normal. I questioned the way I looked, the way I acted. I was just so bothered by her statement. Then I asked myself,”What makes her normal?” I don’t think that anyone is really “normal.” Either way I still took her words to heart.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you may write next. What would bring me back is how relevant your topic is. I honestly feel like most of the teens of today should read this, because most make fun of others for not being normal.

Dear Angelica, I enjoy your

rodjen's picture
Submitted by rodjen on Sun, 2012-04-01 21:48.

Dear Angelica,

I enjoy your post, “NORMAL”, because normal has many definition. I thinking normal is defined differently for each person. It’s important to be yourself and be the person you want to be not what others what you to be. Normal can cause people to not feel well with the way they are because they try to fit in; however; what is important is what the person really is , not how the outside wants you to be.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out for me is “I believe that looking like every one else does help them feel better because it’s something that they can do to feel normal or even included.[sit]”, because I think someone does not have to look like everyone else. There are people that show what they like ,be themselves and are happy. If everyone was same nothing would be interesting, everyone with the same outfits and action. Life is much better with other types of thing and rarity.

Another sentence that I agreed with was “I truly believe that everyone all around the world should believe and and make sure that they know who they are and aren’t afraid to show it.” This stood out for me because it’s true. The characteristic you have makes you the person you are. If you like something and are the way you are, be yourself.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time, my friend and I were talking on the phone. My friend and I were talking about how life is and how we have to be who are ,not try to change for no one. We were talking about how being yourself determines who you are and that the real normal for you.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your writing grabbed my attention and was very interesting knowing your point of view.

Dear Angelica, I liked

varjoe's picture
Submitted by varjoe on Sun, 2012-04-01 22:44.

Dear Angelica,
I liked reading your post. Your post,”NORMAL?”,because is about a problem that a lot teens go through everyday. One sentence you wrote that stood out for me was,”You should never use someone else’s definition of normal as your own.” This sentence stood out for me, because I strongly agree with this sentence. People are all different so we could define normal differently. I also agree with this sentence because we all have different opinions of things.

Another sentence that stood out for me was,”One thing that I know for sure about teenagers feeling normal is that it’s created by insecurity.” I agree with this sentence. When a teen feel different from their peers they'll do anything to blend in. I think this is wrong because some teens might doing stuff they don't to just to fit in.

Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I was ear dropping two people conversation and I heard them talking about a pair of shoes. One of them said , "If you don't get this sneakers you're just plain weird because everyone getting them." I started laughing because I find it ironic how people get stuff only because everyone else is getting it.

Thanks for writing your post. It was really good and entertain. I can't wait to read your future post.

I never really thought about

Submitted by alexmancini on Wed, 2012-04-04 16:26.

I never really thought about it until I read your article, but teens really are thrown the word normal a lot and are just expected to conform to it. There isn't a normal in this world; or at least there shouldn't be. Everybody comes from such different backrounds that for us to be put under one stereotype is just wrong. There is a lot of pressure on teens to "act how they should act." They should be drinking, not care about school, be disrespectful, be all these things that have such negative connotations. Normal shouldn't be a requirement, it should be a rarity.