Not Girly

by: YSanchez

I have no idea what my name means to me. I never tried to figure it out what it means. Maybe because I haven't heard of a person with it. My name is very weird.

My name means to me a strong person. My name to me sounds sometimes very aggressive. I have no idea where my name came from. My aunt named me. She said she likes my name.

I don't know where it came from. All I know is that it came my aunt liking it, and she told my mom, and my mom said, “Ohh that sounds very different!” My brother has a very common name.

My name does not have a history that I know of. To be honest, I really hate that my name is YELITZA. What kind of name is that? I hate when people ask me, “What’s your name?”

I be like, “Ugh, omg, here we go again: YELITZA! And then when they ask again, because they don't understand, they say some weird name that has nothing to do with my name.

Now as I have gotten older, I feel a little better about it. One thing I love about it is that it doesn’t sound so girly like all the other girls.

Surprised!

lhiciano's picture
Submitted by lhiciano on Thu, 2014-10-09 13:38.

Dear Yelitza,

I am very surprised with your post, "Not girly," because it really stand out.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: One thing I love about it is that it doesn't sound so girly like all the other girls.

Another sentence that I believe was interesting is: "My name does not have a history that I know of.

Your post has something that reminds me of something that happened to me. One time i was going to a new school and when i got there to my class my teacher asked me what's you're name i said layza she said huh i aid layza she said ok i understood she didn't hear me so one day she asked me a question but a the end of the question she was like what's you're name again i said my name AGAIN,i said layza she said thank you, then she said sorry that the first time you told i didn't understand i was OK.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you write like you're talking to the reader. thank you

Well done

Submitted by yayussuf on Sun, 2015-12-13 19:50.

I really like how it stands out. I read the title and thought it was an article about girls but instead it was about how your name is unique and great. I like how theres a certain struggle with you and your name. Most authors would say they like there name and wouldn't trade it for the world but you have the guts to say that you've had a hard time with your name, mainly because you thought it had no real meaning and is just weird and you've now started to accept it for what it is. I would really like it if you gave another example about an instance in your life when you first realized you didn't like your name. Like kids laughing at it or wondering what it meant. I also like the format of the essay. It looks really poetic and advanced. Just due a quick sweep for some little grammatical errors. I really like your paragraph, nice job!

I was thoroughly surprised by

Submitted by DMusci33 on Tue, 2015-12-15 11:52.

I was thoroughly surprised by this post. The description of what your name means to you was intriguing in the sense that you came up with the description yourself. Even though your aunt named you, you had to find out what that name meant to you as a person. It is great that you have grown to love your own name and really own it and look at the positives in it. Names really do help describe a person I feel, or at least if they shorten or go by a nickname. If you keep your name as is, since birth, I feel you have a lot more confidence in yourself and everything else you do.