Not some plain main character in The Catcher in the Rye

by: SFootman

Recently I read pages 1-4 in The Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger, and I kind of liked it so far Because it not a normal story. The author really  has his own creative touch to writing his stories.

One line from this part of the book that stands out for me is: "The first thing you'll want to know is,and what me lousy childhood was like,and how my parent were occupied and all before they had me,and all that David Copperfield kind of crap,but i don't feel like going into it,if you want to know the truth" I think this is funny because most stories don't start out like that,which already had me thinking that this story wasn't going to be all typical.

Another line that I liked was: "I'm not gonna tell you about my whole goddamn autobiography  or anything. I' ll just tell you about this madman that happened to me..."  This stood out because I now know the character has a personality,and he isn't just some plain main character in a story.

The main character in The Catcher in the Rye reminds me of myself because he not average,and neither am I. And I like to talk very casually while explaining a story (just like him).

What's probably going to happen is,he's going to fall in love with some girl but have problems in his life,like in a lot of stories.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book because i want to see what else happens.

Dear SFootman: I agreed

nsnodgrass's picture
Submitted by nsnodgrass on Thu, 2009-03-05 15:27.

Dear SFootman:
I agreed with your post, "Not some plain main character in The Catcher in the Rye," because I have also just began the book. Holden is very different from characters in other books. To me it is like he is a person talking to you as himself instead of telling you a story. It allows a more personal connection with the character/narrator.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "What's probably going to happen is,he's going to fall in love with some girl but have problems in his life,like in a lot of stories." I think this is wrong because Holdens not like that. Holden is too different and isolated to end just like another story.

Another sentence that I related to was: "The main character in The Catcher in the Rye reminds me of myself because he not average,and neither am I." This stood out for me because it reminds me much of why I enjoy the book as well. I relate to Holden with his outlook and his real issues. He feels like a real person when reading the story and I also have issues like he does with isolating my self.

I do agree with you that this protagonist is not like others. One reason I say this is because Holden is very straight forward and speaks directly to the reader. Another reason I agree with you is because Holden is one character many teens relate too. Many people who read this book find at least a few similarities between his personality and their own.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I enjoyed your opinions on the book. I agree with you very strongly with almost all of your opinions and it would be interesting to see if your views match with mine later in the book.

Thanks nsnodgrass, One

Submitted by SFootman on Sun, 2009-03-15 23:07.

Thanks nsnodgrass,

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "This stood out for me because it reminds me much of why I enjoy the book as well. I relate to Holden with his outlook and his real issues. He feels like a real person when reading the story and I also have issues like he does with isolating my self." because I like that you and me are alike in a way,and we can both relate to Holden in the story.

Another sentence that I liked was: "Another reason I agree with you is because Holden is one character many teens relate too. Many people who read this book find at least a few similarities between his personality and their own." This stood out for me because although I don't agree with all of Holdens ideas,he is pretty coool.

Thanks for your writing.

Dear Sharifa, I liked your

Submitted by mcolindr on Tue, 2009-04-21 14:35.

Dear Sharifa, I liked your post, "Not some plain main character in the Catcher and the Rye" because I haven't even opened the book since I got it (before the vacation, lol) and I wasn't sure what to think about it until you said it was interesting. One sentence you wrote that I liked was: "The author really has his own creative touch to writing his stories." I think this is cool because a book that is written with an author's twist is usually cool and a fun read. Another sentence that I liked was: "This stood out because I now know the character has a personality,and he isn't just some plain main character in a story." This stood out for me because generic main characters may be okay for some, but unusual main characters make a book all the more fun. I agree with you on the fact that this book is interesting. One reason I say this is because it has some mild cursing, okay, crap isn't really a curse, but who cares, and that always makes a book fun. ^^ Another reason I agree with you is that we usually like the same things, so I'm pretty confident in what you wrote. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you wrote next, because you're my friend and I need things to read in order to pass this class. ^^

I recently started this book

Submitted by maryamkhan on Wed, 2009-04-29 00:11.

I recently started this book but It IS very confusing and I get bored but I like your post and might be I get attracted towards this book It is also difficult.