NSA Base In Salt Lake City

by: CListon

I recently read an article in the newspaper about how the National Security Agency is building a base in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Salt Lake Tribune said it will be located at Camp Williams, Utah. The Deseret News describes it as a "spy base."

Although this is technically true, it will actual be a host for all the data the NSA collects from various other bases across the country. Not much is know about the base specifically (for obvious reasons), but information has been released that it will mainly hold computers, with some additional space.

This project is top security, and they actually built a temporary vehicle search building for use during construction. There will be a visitors center, but needless to say there will be very little touring going on. There are going to be many fences all over the facility, and will require top security clearance to go anywhere besides the visitors center in the building.

They describe it as being the "cloud" for all the information to be stored. It is said that it will require 30 megawatts of energy to run the base. It was originally given 169.5 million dollars but they asked Congress for an additional $800 million.

They even want to eventually expand the facility that would require 65 megawatts of energy and cost an additional $800 million. This base will also house many new high-tech jobs, and I know the University of Utah has been looking into incorporating this base into a class curriculum, or internship project; nothing has been solidified on that one.

This is one of the article done on the NSA "Spy Center"
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/print/705314456/Utah-will-host-new-19...