Obama's Ratings

by: Josie04

For one of our first assignements of the year, we had to think of a question and do some research on it.  My question was What is Obama's approval rating? This is what I found:

“The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 26% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-four percent (44%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -18.”

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

My question was extremely easy to answer. I simply Googled Obama’s approval ratings, and the first link I found gave me the answer and this graph.  It also gave me a link to a chart that showed his day-by-day approval rating since he came into office. Click here to see the chart.   

When I went to Google’s related searchs, it brought up George Bush’s approval rating.  According to the Wall Street Journal, at this point in Bush's presidency, his approval rating was much higher than Obama’s is now. Yet, that was a time in our country when we were extremely united because of 9/11. Bush left the office with an approval rating of about 30%. Obama’s is currently around 49%.

Obviously, the Rasmussen Report and the Wall Street Journal's website gave me different numbers for Obama's approval ratings.  I am curious about how these ratings are measured. . .