Is organic food healthier?

by: n_daw15

In todays society the organic food movement has grown significantly, since people have realized the importance of eating healthy.

What is organic food, and is it actually healthier than non organic food?

Organic food is food that has been grown without the use of chemicals or pesticides. Organic farms use natural methods to grow and maintain their crops.The U.S. Department of Agriculture has established an organic certification program that requires all organic foods to meet strict government standards. These standards regulate how such foods are grown, handled, and processed.

Non-organic crops, however, are sprayed with pesticides, synthetic chemicals, and fungicides. Organic food advocates argue that these chemicals used in crops are dangerous to one's health such as a weaker immune system, increase risks of cancer, and other side effects.

Studies have shown that eating organic food is healthier, but studies have also shown that there is little difference between conventionally grown food and organic foods in terms of taste, nutrition, and safety. Although non-organic food may have higher levels of toxins it is not high enough to cause detrimental damage.

Sources we can annotate together using hypothes.is

Busting the Myths of Organic Food.
Mythbusting 101: Organic Farming > Conventional Agriculture.

It's unfortunate that organic

Submitted by matthewkrump on Wed, 2015-04-01 15:33.

It's unfortunate that organic food doesn't always taste better, and that it costs a lot more than fast food for example