Our Evolving Society

Today's society consists of a variety of behaviors. What makes America, our home country, special is that it gives plenty of room for expanding a student's knowledge, abilities and strengths. In Communist countries, like China, it is believed that uniform was the best way of handling things. For example, everyone moved at the same pace in school. There were no honors, AP or extra study classes for gifted. Most chinese students, starting at elementary age wore school uniforms. There was really no space for Chinese students to expand their knowledge, which will completely differentiate from our society in America.

Here, you can do whatever you want. If you want to test out of classes to get college credit, nothing prohibits you from doing that. There are plentiful honors classes that allows gifted students to further exceed in academics, sports and music. If you want to get a head start, you could take the SAT or ACT hosted by college organizations. In sports, schools naturally have their sport teams, and they divide them into two groups that shows their ability. In band and orchestra, it is a gifted musician's opportunity to claim first chair in their section, be selected to play a solo in a concert, or even go to the state's all-state band or orchestra.

The problem with our democratic society is that it brings out the best, and the worst out of people. For the people who wants to use their freedom for studying, voluntary service and exploring their talents, others use it on drugs, video games and terrorism. A good example is what is happening to the society of our age; high schoolers. It is an ideal thought that a high schooler should participate in a fair amount of sporting, academic and art events. They study and be well prepared for any academic events coming up, they do community service, they are organized and recognize events coming up, they are self-responsible and reasonable, and they learn from the many mistakes they make. However, much of that seems to be forgotten by some high schoolers this age, and as not much has been done to recognize this conflict, the number of them grows every year. It was said that this type of behavior, or teenage disobedience, occurred around WWII, when the parents of a family were off to contribute to the war. Without the parents home, the child was able to explore other activities than to study all day, and found clubs, drugs, sex, popularity, games, comic books, much, much more that a child is more interested in, rather than reading a book all day on your desk.

You can see this in our school, maybe when a "hot and popular girl" sits in the back of the class with her friends, giggling on some Instagram post this really hot guy posted. Maybe its the time when you see a gang of boys/girls skipping their finals by sleeping on the benches and cussing. Maybe it's when there is a kid that "won't shut up" talking to his friend on the other side of the classroom when the teacher is probably getting a migraine telling him to be quiet. These big details of teenage disobedience today hints the fact that our evolving society has become too soft on disciplining our young, energetic teenagers that will become our future.

My point isn't to take away all the iPhones and start locking us up in cages, it's just I'm disappointed that not everyone is knowledgeable about this issue. It's true that some people just don't like the way our society is organized, how our lives were set in a structure we must follow. I know it's annoying sometimes when you don't want to listen to everything your parents want you to do. It's just that modern society is ignoring the consequences of acting in this way, and it turns out that most people actually regret it in the end.

It's true that this problem is a natural cause of freedom in the US, while that can't take all of them blame why our society evolved into what it is like today. The responsibility needs to be built inside the student's mind from an early age, realizing it late is very hard to fix. I feel like that parents should be limiting and supervising a child's free time more aggressively at first, so as the child grows up learning the right thing, trust begins to bond between the child and parent, minimizing a child's hate to listen to their parents all the time, minimizing the possibility of this thing happening again in the future. However, most of this needs to be recognized as the fault of misdirection, and as a calling for action to take place.