Paper Towns

by: sagev24

Paper Towns, by John Green is a mind provoking novel. After reading only a few chapters many questions have crossed my mind. Quentin and Margo, two childhood friends were best buds, during the flashback, at the beginning of the novel. Later on in high school they rarely talk to each other and never come in contact with one another. I was just exploring the concept of how two people can be inseparable and then a few years later never speak a word to one another. After thinking about friendship and how it changes over a period of time I discovered that as we grow we are changing into different people with various personalities. This aspect makes it very easy to grow apart from our friends and make new ones.

I am also reading this book

Submitted by alexisnikoloff on Tue, 2015-02-10 09:48.

I am also reading this book for independent reading! I also just finished reading the part depicting the flashback. I wonder if they separate because they were changing as they grew older, or because something or someone came between them causing conflict. I cannot wait to read on and find out more about the characters.

I was feeling the exact same

sagev24's picture
Submitted by sagev24 on Wed, 2015-02-11 09:49.

I was feeling the exact same way because something very impacting must have happened for them to separate.

Friendship and growing up

alsaedih's picture
Submitted by alsaedih on Tue, 2015-02-10 09:50.

Friendship and growing up with a friend is such an important part of our lives, I can never stop talking to my childhood friend. But I think this book would portray how people change, and how we, ourselves, change as we grow. I'm really curious about the title of the book and how it relates to the story, do you know? I think it's referring to towns on paper maps, places the main characters wanted to visit. Anyways, I've heard so many positive feedback about this book, I'm itching to read it!

I believe the title is

sagev24's picture
Submitted by sagev24 on Wed, 2015-02-11 09:51.

I believe the title is describing the places where Quentin is going to be traveling because of the clues he received from Margo. However, this is just a guess I'm not positive, but excited to find out.

I believe the title is

sagev24's picture

I believe the title is

sagev24's picture

I believe the title is

sagev24's picture

comment to Paper Towns

Submitted by chanheejoy on Tue, 2015-02-10 09:59.

I heard that this book was really good. Did you enjoy it?
I totally agree with you on that as we grow, we are gradually changing into different people with various personalities, and friendship can change all the time. For example, I realized that most people's friendship changed as we moved from Chippewa Middle School to Okemos High School. It might be because of different schedules, lunch hours, and classes, but friendship can change over a period time. Everything around us can impact our friendship. I think making new friends is important too.

I completely agree with you.

sagev24's picture
Submitted by sagev24 on Wed, 2015-02-11 09:55.

I completely agree with you. As we are growing older our life changes along with the people that are doing the same activities as us. So, if some of your old friends aren't doing the same activities as you it's easy to grow apart. Also, I agree with you saying that making new friends is good because that's true.

Friends

Submitted by whoisallyson on Tue, 2015-02-10 10:14.

That is an interesting concept to explore. My question is, did the two friends really just grow apart, or was there some dramatic event that made them separate? I know that people's personalities can simply change as they grow older, but most times, as their personalities change, they can become so different that their views conflict.

Either of those concepts are

sagev24's picture
Submitted by sagev24 on Wed, 2015-02-11 10:00.

Either of those concepts are possible however the novel hasn't stated which one happened. I hope to find out soon.

I used to be very good

ewan's picture
Submitted by ewan on Wed, 2015-02-11 08:55.

I used to be very good friends with some people in middle school and grown apart so I guess I can relate to that. I wonder why the book is called paper towns and how that will relate to the plot. I have seen that a lot of people are reading this book and is it any good from what you have read so far? I would be interested in reading this book!

Yes, I really enjoy the book

sagev24's picture
Submitted by sagev24 on Wed, 2015-02-11 09:58.

Yes, I really enjoy the book so far, as you see I was reading it yesterday during class. So far it's very intriguing. I don't exactly know how it got it's name yet, however I will most likely learn why soon.

I used to be very good

ewan's picture

I used to be very good

ewan's picture