Parent VS Doctor

by: kruss

In our English class we are reading the book called The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down. This book proposes a lot of interesting discussion points about medical professionals and how they treat patients who have their own ideas about how to heal certain ailments. In the book we look at the relationship between daughter and parents as well as doctor to patient. Because of these topics i have asked 5 people what they think makes a good parent and good doctor. They answered as follows.

Mom: “I think it goes hand in hand with what makes them both good influencers. You must be sensitive in most cases but really there comes a time where you have to lay down the law of what is good for your child and patient.”

Step Dad: “Well a parent has to tell the kid what to do so they don’t die. I guess the doctor does the same thing. Except as a doctor you can’t hit the patient like you can a kid. Wait, don’t put that.”

Deja (step sister): “You can tell a doctor anything really and they can’t even tell your parents. But if you tell your parents something bad you gon get yo ass whooped. A good doctor don’t judge while a good parent tells you when you fuckin up. Am I allowed to curse?”

Jazzlynn: “Good doctor is a doctor who makes the most conscientious decisions to better the patient's health all around while being considerate to their needs. A good parent supports and uplifts their child and affirms them with positivity and acts of love.”

Me: “I think a good doctor is someone who only thinks of the patient’s needs and how to help them. They only care for the well being of a patient. They see them as people and not something that leads to a paycheck. A good parent knows how to balance letting the child have self expression and monitoring what they do at the same time. It’s not healthy to care too much or too little. They know the perfect amount for each individual child.”

In conclusion I think being a good doctor and parent are somewhat similar. This is good because a good parent means they had a child and they didn’t well. die. And that is the last thing we want for our patients in hospitals and children at home.

Good writing and thesis

Submitted by Roan522 on Fri, 2016-02-19 12:15.

I like how you incorporated not only your own ideas and points but those of the people around you. However, I feel you could do more with the points and individual ideas.
But like seriously, are you ok there?

Wow...

Submitted by kirbym19 on Fri, 2016-02-19 12:16.

I appreciate the fact you got other's opinions on the subject, but are you okay? Has your step dad seen this? Has your teacher seen this?

I think it's interesting that

onixn's picture
Submitted by onixn on Fri, 2016-02-19 12:17.

I think it's interesting that you interviewed other people instead of only including you own opinion, and I like how you quoted them directly. I feel kind of bad for laughing a little bit.

Good Topic

Submitted by Katie J. on Fri, 2016-02-19 12:19.

I like how you of chose to go further in depth with a topic like this. You actually asked those around you on their opinion of a good doctor and a good parent. However, I think it would have been better if you elaborated more or responded to your family's comment on this topic.

Very interesting and comical

Submitted by daikens on Mon, 2016-02-22 19:46.

Very interesting and comical piece of writing Kennedy. I am always pleased with your writing. I agree with Deja that a good parent will acknowledge what is good and or bad for you, and not allow you to move forward with anything that is not beneficial to you. On the other hand, Doctor's can always inform you what is best, but cannot force you or your family to do anything that they do not want to.

I agree with what your

Submitted by gsaturno on Wed, 2016-02-24 13:21.

I agree with what your stepdad said except the hitting the part. The parent and doctor try their best to keep you healthy. The hitting part was kind of unexpected.

It was fun reading your post.

tsaeteurn's picture
Submitted by tsaeteurn on Fri, 2016-02-26 22:27.

It was fun reading your post. I agree with you that a good doctor should care for the patients well being than as a source of income. Being a good parent, you do have to care for their well being but you also have to contribute a lot as well as trusting the doctor that he or she will take care of your daughter or son.

I like the piece you got. I

Submitted by cniegos on Sat, 2016-02-27 01:00.

I like the piece you got. I like how you interview other people and yourself about the opinion how doctors and parents correlate with each other in many different ways but the only thing they want to do is to save their patients/children. GOOd job on your piece.

I agree that a good doctor is

Submitted by lmiller on Thu, 2016-03-03 21:41.

I agree that a good doctor is a doctor that genuinely cares for their patient and not just a pay check. To me a good doctor will make sure you understand everything that he/she is discussing with you and help you get through any obstacle you may come across as much as they can.