PEDs in High School sportS

PED use in High School sports has been on the rise. With a growing concern for families having to pay for college, they want there kids to earn scholarships. Kids are pressured to take PEDs in order to obtain full ride scholarships for college. According to Meredith Farrell in her article "High School Athletes and PEDs," around 3.7 percent of high school athletes have used PEDs sometime in their high school career. Although 3.7 percent doesn't sound like a lot it is around 600,000 high school students. Kids have so much pressure on them, that they feel in order to be successful they have to have an advantage, being PEDs.
A major concern is also that parents aren't doing enough to teach their children about the harm of performance enhancing drugs. Parents need to not put as much pressure on kids about obtaining scholarships, and make sure they aren't seriously damaging their bodies with constant PED use. The reality is that around 1 in every 50,000 kids is able to play division one sports, according to Farrell's article, so is it really worth it to expose your body to extreme health problems, and still not possibly playing at the next level.

http://www.londonderrynh.net/2014/11/high-school-athletes-and-peds/77709

Interesting

Submitted by dashiell57 on Mon, 2015-02-02 22:50.

Hi Nate. I completely agree that PED use in high school is very bad. I strongly think that parents are the main part of the problem, which you mentioned. Parents need to understand that education comes first and that PEDs are very bad for a teenager's body. I liked how you explained that 3.7 percent of high school athletes doesn't seem like much but it is actually 600,000. That number is very powerful and gets to the reader in a stronger way than the 3.7 percent. Overall, I like your argument and I believe that PEDs should not be involved in any high school sports.

Sports

Submitted by mikekearns on Tue, 2015-02-03 15:16.

Nate this was beautiful. As I read this with Skyler (your teammate) it made me think about our experiences with high school sports and the goal to make it to the college level. I think that there is not a lot of exposure to PEDs in our school but there may be a lot more depending on your high school athletics and the size of your program. I found this to be a very interesting topic.

Nate, great insight on this

Submitted by JesusSalazar on Tue, 2015-02-03 16:46.

Nate, great insight on this issue. I really like how you focused on how many kids are actually using these dugs. I also really like how you talked about how it was the responsibility of the parents not only the school. Heres another article about kids using PED's and the impact of the drugs on the body. I look forward to reading your writing in the future because of your great insight.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/22994497/ns/health-childrens_health/t/qa-impac...

Scary Stuff

Submitted by acorbato on Tue, 2015-02-03 17:03.

Hi Nate, it's scary to think that 600,000 kids take PEDs in the hopes of getting college scholarships. I think you're right in that parents need to serve as voices of reason in preventing PED usage. However, another issue is the high cost of tuition for college. Like you said most of us will not play division one sports. Yet, most us will attend college, maybe it's time to open the door to college to more kids alleviating pressure to receive athletic scholarships. Hope to hear more from you on this issue, nice work.