Phantom of the Opera

by: 20muis
Title Screen
Act I
Act II
Act III
Act IV

My animation is based off of the book (later broadway show and movie) 'Phantom of the Opera'. The story takes place in the Paris Opera, 1911. The new girl Christine sings for another member of the cast who was unable to make the show, and captures the attention of the 'Phantom', (also known as the 'Opera Ghost') and her childhood lover Raoul. The plot is about the three main characters interacting with one final event at the end where everything is resolved to a certain extent.
Backgrounds and sprites from storyboardthat.com

Script:
(Meg stage left, Andre stage right, Christine middle)
MEG: She's been taking lessons from a great teacher.
ANDRE: From whom?
CHRISTINE: I don't know, sir...
MEG: Let her sing for you. She has been well taught!
(Phantom above, Meg stage left, Christine stage right)
PHANTOM: Brava, brava, bravissima...
MEG: Where in the world have you been hiding? Really, you were perfect! I only wish I knew your secret! Who is this new tutor?
CHRISTINE: Father once spoke of an angel... I used to dream he'd appear... Now as I sing I can sense him... And I know he's here... Here in this room he calls me softly... somewhere inside... hiding... Somehow I know he's always with me... he - the unseen genius...
MEG: I watched your face from the shadows Distant through all the applause I hear your voice in the darkness, but the words aren't yours.
CHRISTINE: Angel of Music! Guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!
MEG: Who is this angel? This...
BOTH: Angel of Music! Hide no longer! Secret and strange angel...
CHRISTINE: He's with me, even now...
(Carlotta stage left, Meg stage left, Giry stage right)
CARLOTTA: What is it? What has happened?
GIRY: Come with me!
CARLOTTA: Oh, my darling, my darling... who has done this? Why did you let this happen?
GIRY: I know where they are.
MEG: I'll come with you.
GIRY: No, Meg! No, you stay here! Hurry, or we shall be too late…
(Giry and Carlotta exit stage right)
(Phantom middle above, Christine stage left)
PHANTOM: Down to the dungeon of my black despair! Down we plunge to the prison of my mind! Why, you ask, was I bound and chained to this cold and depressing place? Not for any mortal sin, but the wickedness of my distasteful face! Hounded out by everyone! Met with hatred everywhere! No kind word from anyone! No compassion anywhere! Christine, Christine... Why, why... ?
CHRISTINE: Have you gorged yourself at last, in your lust for blood? Am I now to be prey to your lust for flesh?
PHANTOM: That fate, which condemns me to wallow in blood has also denied me the joys of the flesh... this face-the infection which poisons our love... This face, which earned a mother's fear and loathing... A mask, my first unfeeling scrap of clothing... Pity comes too late-turn around and face your fate: An eternity of this before your eyes!
CHRISTINE: This haunted face holds no horror for me now... It's in your soul that the true distortion lies...
PHANTOM: Wait! I think, my dear, we have a guest! Sir, this is indeed an unparalleled delight! I had rather hoped that you would come And now my wish comes true-You have truly made my night!
(Raoul enter stage right)
RAOUL: Free her! Do what you like, only free her! Have you no pity?
PHANTOM: Your lover makes a passionate plea!
CHRISTINE: Please, Raoul, it's useless...
RAOUL: I love her! Does that mean nothing? I love her! Show some compassion...
PHANTOM: The world showed no compassion to me!
RAOUL: Christine... Christine... are you hurt?
PHANTOM: Did you think that I would harm her? Why should I make her pay for the sins which are yours? Nothing can save you now - except perhaps Christine... Start a new life with me-Buy his freedom with your love! Refuse me, and you send your lover to his death! This is the choice-This is the point of no return!
CHRISTINE: The tears I might have shed for your dark fate grow cold, and turn to tears of hate.
RAOUL: Christine, forgive me, please forgive me... I did it all for you, and all for nothing...
CHRISTINE: Farewell, my fallen idol and false friend... We had such hopes, but now these hopes lie murdered
PHANTOM: Too late for turning back, too late for prayers and useless pity... Past all hope of cries for help: no point in fighting...
RAOUL: Either way you choose, he has to win...
PHANTOM: For either way you choose, you cannot win! So, do you end your days with me, or do you send him to his grave?
RAOUL: Why make her lie to you, to save me?
CHRISTINE: Angel of Music...why this torment?
PHANTOM: Past the point of no return... the final threshold...His life is now the prize which you must earn!
RAOUL: For pity's sake, Christine, say no! Don't throw your life away for my sake... I fought so hard to free you...
CHRISTINE: Angel of Music... you deceived me-I gave my mind blindly...
PHANTOM: You try my patience-make your choice! You've passed the point of no return...
CHRISTINE: Pitiful creature of darkness... What kind of life have you known ...? God, give me courage to show you you are not alone...
PHANTOM: Take her-forget me-forget all of this... Leave me alone-forget all you've seen... Go now-don't let them find you! Christine, I love you...
CHRISTINE: Say you'll share with me, one love, one lifetime... say the word and I will follow you...
RAOUL: Share each day with me...
CHRISTINE: ...each night...
BOTH: ...each morning...
PHANTOM: You alone can make my song take flight-it's over now, the music of the night…

Developer's Logs:
March 11- 8:35-9:00am
Steps 1-3
In this period of time I only succeeded in creating the title page. I am very behind schedule because I thought that it would be easier to find the characters and make them sprites. However, this was a lot harder than I thought. Since I never found the characters, it was very hard for me to animate the lines, because I had nobody to animate them to. The settings were also hard to find because it wasn’t easy to search them up and use them. I will probably just import the settings and characters from storyboardthat.com and use that instead.
March 13- 8:10-9:00am
Steps 2,5,8,11 and 3,6,9,12
Today I succeeded in creating all the characters and settings, by uploading them directly from storyboardthat.com. I couldn’t find any images that could be in my animation so I just uploaded from my storyboards. Now that I have everything I need to create my animation, I can finally start animating it. I have animated only the title screen today and the transition into first act, but nothing else. Next time I work I will animate the acts.
March 15- 9:30-11:00am
Steps 4,7,10
Today I succeeded in animating the first and second act lines, but did not get to the third. It was harder to animate the lines than I thought, because I didn’t want an abundant amount of ‘broadcasts’, so I just timed everything. This made it harder because I needed to calculate how long someone had to wait. I was also very meticulous about the details, which made it harder for me to move on and get things done.
March 15- 7:00-7:30
Step 10
Considering the speed of which I worked at this morning, I only wished to complete the third act dialogue and transitions, and that is what I did. This took longer than I originally planned for it, but I still got it done faster than I now planned for it.
March 16- 7:00-8:00
Step 13-14
Today I finished my project by animating the fourth act and creating an ending screen. Animating the last lines were kind of difficult because I had to time things between three characters and I had to watch the whole animation in order to check the timing for the last act (my animation is not extremely short) and that was what made it annoying. Otherwise, everything went smoothly and I didn’t actually have that much trouble timing the dialogue.