The Phone Call (The Raven)

by: asalanga

Once at midnight when I was depressed and heartbroken,
I was listening to Taylor Swift’s whole album and I almost fell asleep
when suddenly my phone rang .
“It’s unknown,” I said, “it’s probably them dudes--
them dudes that be selling their mixtape.”

I remember seeing them Christmas lights up and it was hella cold;
so my dog was in front of the heater I got from Walmart.
I wanted it to be Friday hella bad; -- Cuz on Friday I’m gonna turn up
I wasn’t tryna be all in my feelings -- my feelings for Zayn Malik--
Because that angel like face, and the perfect way them high notes be, Zayn Malik--
will always be the best one, evermore.

So the ringtone of my phone kept ringing
and this annoyed me-- made me want to throw my phone away;
So I wanted to end it, to stop the annoying ring, but I kept thinking,
“It’s them dudes that wanna sell me their wack mixtape--
some wanna-be Drake rappers that wanna spit their mixtape--
that’s all.”

While I was thinking I got more irritated, so I answered the phone,
“Drake,” I said, “or Jay- Z, I know your house full of sausage;
But I was listening to my homegirl T-Swifty, and then you called,
and the ringing was so annoying on my phone;
I wasn’t going to answer you”-- But I pressed accept;--
silence and then beeping thats all.

While the beeping was continuing, I stood there with my WTF face, thoughtful,
I came upon a thought, a thought that every 16 year old has had during their showers;
and the beeping on the phone was still going, and the silence gave me time to think,
I redialed, and it picked up with an echo of silence, “Zayn?”
This I whispered, and the silence on the other end muttered back, “Zayn!” --
That’s all.

Enjoyed it.

mrim's picture
Submitted by mrim on Sat, 2015-04-25 00:00.

I really enjoyed the way you were able to code-switch. When I was reading it, I was able to get all up in my feelings. I felt like you really got the concept of how sad Edgar Allen Poe was and made it to a modern, you sad for what type of feeling. Sadness now is not as emotional as sadness back then, because when I read the actual poem it was like I feel bad for him, but in your remake those mix tapes aren't worth the time.

Enjoyed it.

mrim's picture
Submitted by mrim on Sat, 2015-04-25 00:03.

This is Taylor Swift :D

Submitted by qtat on Sun, 2015-04-26 00:13.

This is really funny! I like how creative you took on this interpretation on the poem, The Raven. You did many changes to the poem than the other people, which is new and interesting. I like how you switch up the door tapping to the phone ringing! It's creative and different, i enjoyed it!

Thumbs Up!

Submitted by nsoriano on Sun, 2015-04-26 18:54.

I really liked how you code-switched The Raven because you included Zayn Malik. But on a serious note, I really enjoyed reading your interpretation of The Raven because many teenagers can relate to this type of situation, well at least fan girls of One Direction. You including famous stars today, will attract many teenagers today and probably enjoy reading the original of The Raven.

Awesomesauce.

jforbes's picture
Submitted by jforbes on Sun, 2015-04-26 19:12.

Anabelle, your remix is creative, original, and insightful! Nice work. Can I use this next year when I teach "The Raven"? I think it will help my students understand what is going on!

I am HONORED!

Submitted by asalanga on Mon, 2015-05-18 20:28.

YES! Absolutely! Wow, I am honored to have my work shown to my fellow peers and future peers (haha?)

Great Minds Alike

Submitted by jpho on Sun, 2015-04-26 20:49.

I really loved to read this piece of yours because I truly fascinate the texture that you and I commonly would write about how in our modern time, technology is being used so often. I love the story play with the contribution of music being involved comparing it to the Raven poem. Beautiful! I did a similar piece with technology also which is why I am fascinated and amazed.

omg lol

Submitted by elieu on Sun, 2015-04-26 23:53.

i really like how you code switched the poem. it actually explains the poem. it like in the present day about zayn malik leaving one direction. this poem is so amusing to me. it made me laugh. keep up the good work.

remix

Submitted by ckyne on Mon, 2015-04-27 16:12.

I like how you made this poem sound so real.
Good Job Anabelle.
I'm so pround.

Niceeee

Submitted by ateoxon on Thu, 2015-04-30 22:49.

I loved the fact that you put modern people that most people know in it to be more "relatable" in a way. In all seriousness, even though you did change people's names it still has the same story as the original story.