Poem- Free within the confines of a cage

by: Azubair

I toil till I tire, I am but a slave

beneath the suns fire, I am but a slave

I am but a bird, that's unable to fly.

I can't fill my desire, I am but a slave.

Has the toiling degraded? Am I a free man?

Has the sun been shaded? Am I a free man?

Are my thoughts so absurd to roam in the skies?

Where have my desires gone? Am I a free man?

Now we are part of the nation. I guess we are free.

We can get an education. I guess we are free.

I am a bird, the heavens should be mine.

And yet, I still, cannot reach my station.

I can't drink with the whites, am I really free?

They scatter at my sight, am I really free?

No reason to enjoy my life as a whole.

Why, oh why am I not free?

Now have I learned the state, of my kind.

The hardship the pain, and the plight, of my kind.

A man sentenced to freedom in a cage.

Is this really the worth, of my kind?

Sadness there is for it is the truth

For all of this suffering, there will be no truce

And that is life for all of my kind.

Freedom within the confines of their cage

Dear Arsalan, I loved

Submitted by CFlores on Sun, 2011-02-20 17:09.

Dear Arsalan,

I loved your poem, “Poem-Free withing the confines of a cage,” because there are so many emotions and themes embedded within every line, I felt touched. I understand that this poem was written in January, but I think this truly celebrated Black History Month. I was able to really analyze this poem in historical terms from U.S. History.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “I toil till I die, I am but a slave.” I think this sentence is very descriptive because it sort of prepares the reader, in this case myself, for the themes that the poem might have. I loved how you expressed something so powerful with just one line and “took” me to the 1800s Era of the U.S.

Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “We can get an education. I guess we are free.” This stood out for me because I experienced the situation and dates changing. Education should be more heavily emphasized in the lives of future generations in America. Celebrating Black History Month is not just the music or legacies of equality that were given to African Americans and non-Americans of the time. Americans should take this time to think about every aspect such as education, which is very valuable and teenagers treat it like garbage.

Your poem reminds me of something about myself. Poetry is a way to express the emotions I feel in my daily life. I connect poetry and rap lyrics, together, because of the similar rhyming aspects that they hold. I love to write poems that do not rhyme, but rap music adds that flavor in my life. Being that it is Black History Month, I love to celebrate the new generation of Rap music and poets of the 1900s that have allowed people like me, enjoy these delicacies.

Thanks for writing, I look forward to seeing what you write next, because there is just so much meaning to your poetry. I really liked this poem and themes it brought from a U.S. History perspective. I am sure it wasn’t easy to be in the mindset of a slave and write a poem based on what you feel slaves felt during that time.

Arsie, I really liked your

Submitted by GSoukup on Mon, 2011-02-21 15:34.

Arsie,

I really liked your poem. At first i didnt know what it was about. I thought it was some poem about a Jewsish slave in Egypt or something. Jewsih because we are reading Rosa so I thought there was something there. But anyway, it was really good. I liked seeing your transition from acceptence to questioning to understanding then gaining something from that pain.

I was very impressed by the last section. The face that someone has their freedoms within the confines of a cage, are they really free? If you have all the limitations so far around you are you still free?

Think about it!