Points of Reference

by: JakeS

Perspective is key in the turnout of a picture.  It pretty much dictates what the image will look like.  Here’s a picture of a building.  How would it have looked if it had been taken from across the street, instead of at its base?

This building is a little bit older, but the same concept is explored.  The building looks totally different from the two different perspectives.

This concept doesn’t work only with buildings, however.  Here are two pictures of the same mountain, from different angles.

Perspective isn’t only about angles.  It can be about color too.  This first picture is the original, the second picture is desaturated, and the third one is completely unsaturated (black and white).  The pictures were also taken from slightly above roof-level of the buildings in question, which gives them a physical angle as well.

The previous pictures were all taken at about roof-level.  Here’s another example, taken while skiing at Mt. Hood one summer, where we were actually skiing above the clouds.  The picture would have turned out very differently, had it been taken from below cloud-level.

Perspective can also be time of day.  In this picture, because it was taken at night, the light is coming from below insetead of from above.

In this picture, the text is cut off:

Perspective is extremely important to photographs.  This post is entitled “Points of Reference,” because that is what perspective is called in physics.  If you look at one event from three different angles or positions, you will see something totally unique from the other two positions.